Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Try this the next time your iPad disconnects from your wi-fi network.

Try this to quickly get reconnected.
When your iPad displays the screen to re enter your network security key, do not enter the key, instead, press the iPad's power button until the iPad displays "Slide To Power Off". Then touch the "Cancel" button on the bottom of the screen, and the iPad will reconnect to your network. This is NOT a fix but a simple workaround until Apple finds a software fix.

Please respond to this thread if it works for you.

Remember this is only a workaround for iPads that disconnect from a network, asking to re enter its security key.

macbook pro 15in, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2.66 Core 2 Duo , 4 gig 1067 DDR3

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 11:04 AM

When your iPod displays the "re-enter your security key" screen, Do NOTHING.
Then Press AND HOLD the power button on the iPad, until the screen displays: "Slide To Turn Off". Do not slide, but Press "Cancel", and wait for the iPad to reconnect.
At this point you should be able to resume whatever you were doing.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2010 11:04 AM in response to fiosron

When your iPod displays the "re-enter your security key" screen, Do NOTHING.
Then Press AND HOLD the power button on the iPad, until the screen displays: "Slide To Turn Off". Do not slide, but Press "Cancel", and wait for the iPad to reconnect.
At this point you should be able to resume whatever you were doing.

Apr 9, 2010 2:10 PM in response to haeuslsi

Yes, I do haeuslsi
( am logged in as fiosron and ronadijcks by the way! )

I think what is happening, is that the "power-saving" setting on/in the iPad are such that the drivers for the wifi radio are either being disconnected (software based), or turned off (also software/driver based).
Apple's interest of eeking out as much battery life as possible supports this theory. Furthermore the fact that the radio signals seem to be intermittant and usually lower than say, an iPod, suggests this possibility even more. The amount of power provided (more power, less battery life) to the wifi radio is in direct relation to performance, therefore, my ideas may be valid.
BUT,
This however is just my guess as to why this is happening. I have not seen or been exposed to a specific set of events whilst using the iPad to come to solid conclusions as to when and why it does it.

I do however believe it can be solved with a driver/software update, but trust me , it will come at the expense of battery life. That said, I am ok with that. I want it tor work right. If that means losing an hour of usable time while connected to a wifi, so be it!

Glad this helped you!

Apr 9, 2010 2:13 PM in response to haeuslsi

Yes, I do haeuslsi
( am logged in as fiosron and ronadijcks by the way! )

I think what is happening, is that the "power-saving" setting on/in the iPad are such that the drivers for the wifi radio are either being disconnected (software based), or turned off (also software/driver based).
Apple's interest of eeking out as much battery life as possible supports this theory. Furthermore the fact that the radio signals seem to be intermittant and usually lower than say, an iPod, suggests this possibility even more. The amount of power provided (more power, less battery life) to the wifi radio is in direct relation to performance, therefore, my ideas may be valid.
BUT,
This however is just my guess as to why this is happening. I have not seen or been exposed to a specific set of events whilst using the iPad to come to solid conclusions as to when and why it does it.

I do however believe it can be solved with a driver/software update, but trust me , it will come at the expense of battery life. That said, I am ok with that. I want it tor work right. If that means losing an hour of usable time while connected to a wifi, so be it!

Glad this helped you!

Apr 9, 2010 2:40 PM in response to fiosron

Hey,

I have yet and easier solution. You don't need to hold the power button actually, just press it and then the screen goes to standby, press it again and voilà, you should see the wifi signal back.
Just unlock and you're good to go. I guess it's not easier but in theory, faster than holding down until you see the power down screen.

Cheers!

Apr 9, 2010 2:58 PM in response to tontondavid

Hey, it just dawned on me the difference for your case... You have a password set for your iPad when waking it up! So yes this might also cause a reinitialization of the wifi radio! Cool!

So, anyone who has set up a password on their iPad may benefit from a slightly faster reset by going to sleep mode and then typing in their ipad's password! Makes sense.. This chain of events causes the device to reset connections, either with a password from sleep or a power off to cancel event!

Apr 9, 2010 4:02 PM in response to fiosron

This work around doesn't work for me. When the iPad drops my WiFi, I either have to go to settings and reset it, or sometimes turn the machine off. It always resets on restart.

I only experience this at home on my password protected network. It never seems to drop when I'm using a public domain network when I am out and about.

Apr 9, 2010 4:49 PM in response to Steve7653

I have a variant of this problem. My n/ w is WEP , so the Internet goes off after my dhcp lease with the router ends. So far I've had to goto settings and reconnect to my wifi,
This is pretty annoying.

I haven't tried the above workarounds, though , those are also painful... When ur watching a movie or YouTube , and the streaming stops. All the more bcos apple promises the device to " just work" . I also had the band switching issue , and have set my modem to a single band . That issue is ok now.

I like the iPad , but these few things are irritating. Are these present in all the ipads ?

Apr 9, 2010 5:45 PM in response to fiosron

What has been working for me whenever I loose connectivity and I get asked to choose a network ,(rarely now that I adjusted my router to single band) I simply turn the wifi slider to off, then back on again.
Until I connect back to my wifi again.
Although it's happening less now. It's still annoying!
Apple please send out a firmware update! I love this device, don't make me choke one of your employees ar the genius counter!!

Try this the next time your iPad disconnects from your wi-fi network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.