Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I believe it's a power issue

After reading these forums since the day the iPad came out, I have narrowed it down to 2 things. A hardware issue with the wifi antennas. Or, a power issue in the software of the OS. Simply put, the wifi isn't getting sufficient power to find a signal, maintain a signal, and use a signal for data transfer

The fact that people are fixing their problems (at least the reconnect after sleep) by turning up their brightness is a huge insight into this issue.

The main issue that plagues us all seems to be Wifi dropping/slow/reconnecting etc. I would like everybody with this problem to do a test for me, as this method I have found is the ONLY way I have gotten my iPad to behave.

1)Turn your brightness to maximum
2)Plug in your iPad and try the wireless (to a wall charger, NOT your computer). Make sure external power is going to your iPad.

Try the wireless now and report back, I have a feeling the power management part of the software is failing somewhere..

Thank you all

Message was edited by: sgtboy2010

Custom, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 11:59 AM

22 replies

Apr 9, 2010 2:47 PM in response to sgtboy2010

The power saving code that was written for the wifi radio is such that the radio is being shut down, put to sleep or otherwise uninstalled due to some sort of glitch. When you receive the message to re enter the security key, that itself suggests the connection is being reset, and when it doesn't work, that's because the system has already disconnected (or somehow deactivated) the internal radio. This is why a power off and restart fixes it every time.

That said, if you follow the instructions in my other post you can avoid a complete shut down and restart.

When you see the message to re enter the security key, ignore that (DO NOT input the security key) and immediately press and hold the power button until you see the "slide to turn off" screen. Then simply touch the "cancel" button at the bottom of the screen and the device reinitializes the wifi radio. This has worked for everyone that has this problem, (hence a lost connection).

Message was edited by: ronadijcks

Apr 9, 2010 4:12 PM in response to sgtboy2010

I am typing from my ipad right now and over 100 feet away using N wifi on my d link extreme and i have full bar signal strength and about 4 walls of drywall and 1 floor of wood inbetween me and the router.

Everything is fine no issues at all...... I still suspect low quality wifi routers.
I feel sorry for netgear and linksys owners.....move up in the world and get a real quality router.

Read my signature for a hint

Apr 9, 2010 4:52 PM in response to fiosron

There is nothing wrong with these routers. The iPhones and MacBooks work flawlessly with the same routers that the iPad is having problems with. If this was a software problem, Apple would have had a fix for it by now (7 days into it). The fact no fix has showed up indicate it may well be a hardware/power problem. If Apple admits that, they will have to replace half a million iPads! They are not about to do that! So they are dancing around the problem with silly suggestions like check to make sure the router is plugged in and the cables are connected. By now it is obvious that thousands of users have their routers plugged in. It is the iPad that keeps loosing or near losing the WiFi signal. Apple needs take some responsibility and come to grips with the facts and at least tell the customers what it knows. How much feed back does Apple need!!!!! Just read the discussions.

Apr 9, 2010 5:00 PM in response to NewToAperture

NewTo,
I agree with you for the most part. But the radio in the iPad is the same as the iPod, that does NOT have the problems. This clearly is a driver issue, and I am nearly sure it has to do with power management. It's like a flashlight that has fresh batteries has a bright light and as the power is lowered (by virture of the batteries giving off less voltage) the light is diminished and of less "quality". This analogy applies to the radio/antenna inside the iPad. The radio/antenna IS functioning, but because the power management is screwed up, cannot work properly.
I Do believe that Apple will be offering a driver/software update, but it takes time, and 7 days is NOT enough time. IMHO.

I hope you are wrong, only because I need the iPad to work better than or equal to the "promise" of what it can do, else it's going back to Best Buy!

Apr 9, 2010 5:09 PM in response to sgtboy2010

I bet you a $25 apple gift card if I was mailed your wifi router to my home then I would experince exactly your same issue.

its the same arguement uninformed people make when buying a pc and they say
"I do not need a power computer that can play the latest games! I just want to bee able to use Office 2007!" little do they relise that 2007 is so power hungry it would drag an older pc to crawl. and for the same argument here

I am saying if you want the speed,quality then you must get a gaming wifi router
sounds like you think you can add 15 wifi devices on a home wifi unit with no issues in regards to speed and connection issues.
Next time you have a football party make sre ou invite all yourr friends to hog your wifi and see how my point is well taken.
Sure you may not be doing any gaming on your wifi router but you have now introduced overhead to it.

Message was edited by: Inachu

Apr 9, 2010 6:11 PM in response to Inachu

This is the problem I have with owning Apple products. When people actually have problems with their product it is always someone elses fought and not Apples. If these peoples Macs and iphones worked perfectly fine on the router they have why would it all of a sudden be a router problem with the iPAD. This is how you get a company to fix its problems or problem by making your voice heard, not by having fanatics silence it. And as for Linksys routers being junk I have one and have a PS3, two xbox360s, iphone, macbook pro, ipod touch and a sony laptop connected to mine and have no problems. So I guess when I buy an iPAD I need to get a real router?

I believe it's a power issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.