Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to update Genius - "required file cannot be found" error

I am getting an error "Genius results can't be updated right now. The required file cannot be found. Please try again later" when I try to update Genius. I get this error in Step 3: Delivering your Genius results. It gets passed first 2 steps fine.

Seems to have started when I upgraded to Windows 7 and reinstalled iTunes 9.0.3. Upgrading to 9.1 didn't help.

I know there have been many posts about Genius updates issues, but I saw only ones with "network connection timed out" or "Unknown" errors. Required file cannot be found when updating Genius seems new.

Tried deleting iTunes Library Genius and iTunes Library Extras and returning on Genius. Doesn't work. Tried rebuilding iTunes Library, doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Toshiba M700, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 4:58 PM

7 replies

May 9, 2010 11:17 PM in response to spankyhuang

+The required file cannot be found....+
+Seems to have started when I upgraded to Windows 7....+

I suspect it's Windows 7 permissions. Instead of not being able to find the required file, maybe itunes doesn't have permission to create it or delete it.
I have watched my itunes folder while itunes updates genius. It creates some temporary journal files and then deletes them. If your windows userID doesn't have full control & ownership of the itunes folder, it might be having trouble with these temporary files, or the genius & extra itdb files.

Go into Windows Explorer. Make sure your window userID has *full control* and ownership of the itunes folder and all its subfolders. Be sure to restart itunes after changing permissions, so itunes will read the new settings.

If still no joy, the next step I'd try woud be to temporarily turn off UAC, and see if itunes can update genius.

May 31, 2010 9:44 AM in response to spankyhuang

Thanks for the suggestions...but no luck or joy. Looks like my accounts have full access to all iTunes folders. Also have User Account Control set to "Never Notify."

Only other thing I can think of is I had BitLocker turned on. Tried suspending it but no luck. Haven't tried decrypting my drive entirely yet...too big of an undertaking.

Any other thoughts? Think something about Windows 7 security is the right track.

Unable to update Genius - "required file cannot be found" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.