Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why not a iPod Touch external keyboard? The iPad has one....

I know that a number of iPod Touch fans have been clamoring for an external (preferably foldable) keyboard for years now. But now iPad user are getting exactly that: an external keyboard that docks with the iPad.

So, what's stopping development of an external keyboard for the Touch? I realize that Bluetooth isn't a viable option, given the slow speed; but why not wireless, or docking with a keyboard with A/C power? Typing letter by letter is painfully slow, under the best of conditions. Any news on a solution to this?

iMac (2.93gb) - MacBook Pro (2.53gb), Mac OS X (10.6.1), iPod Touch- v.3 (64gb)

Posted on Apr 9, 2010 9:24 PM

8 replies

Apr 9, 2010 10:13 PM in response to Doc M

Doc M,

When I used a foldable keyboard with two different PDAs (synched with a pre-OSX Mac), I was amazed how even a small PDA screen made word processing a breeze. Typing 60WPM on a Targus keyboard was a natural, with minimal energy expenditure. It's shocking how users hunt and peck at 5WPM with the Touch, considering the speed of real typing.

Or imagine this: instead of leaving home with a five pound laptop, use a 6oz Touch and a foldable keyboard. Type articles or memos with the portable keyboard, or even email them via Wifi. You don't have to worry about a cluttered desktop because your keyboard is folded away, and the only thing you have to sync is what you do ordinarily with your Touch.

I really can't figure why this wouldn't be technically or financially viable.

Thanks!

Apr 9, 2010 10:38 PM in response to Poikkeus

Poikkeus--

Instead of leaving home with my 4.5 pound MacBook (which I need because I work online), I'm waiting to get an iPad... 🙂

Seriously--I do work from home, and I do take my MacBook everywhere when I leave town. Using my touch to work from isn't feasible for me. (Though I do like the idea of a folding/rollable keyboard for the touch.) The iPad really would work better for me than the touch; I could use Pages and Numbers, and the larger keyboard would suit me and my fat fingers better. (I can type 20-25 wpm on my touch, BTW.) The only app I have on the touch for notes is...Notes. I use the recording app and a ThumbTack if I need to record things for transcription later.

I guess I don't mind the 4.5 pounds of MacBook, compared to the Dell's 5.3 pounds. (And the MacBook is a better computer-and better looking, to boot!)

Doc

Apr 9, 2010 11:12 PM in response to Doc M

I have to confess that a 1.5 pound iPad is very promising from the standpoint of video clarity, portability, and relative speed. I recently demo'd the iPad, but certain issues (power and wifi signal chief among them) suggests I wait for v.2.

I am extremely jealous of your 25wpm typing speed. If you're remotely accurate, I'm green with envy.

Apr 10, 2010 1:31 AM in response to Poikkeus

I have to agree with you on the dock which isn't one available for the iPod touch. I think that apple though it would be more conformtable to use with a screen-size of an ipad rather than a small screen on an iPod touch. Talking about wireless keyboards, back when the iPad came out and the SDK was being explored, Greg singled out a few iPad features that we felt would be useful on the iPhone. Unfortunately only one of them seems to have made it in OS 4.0, but it’s a handy one: Bluetooth keyboard support. Let's hope that apple around the summer time releases an iPod dock for a keyboard.

Apr 10, 2010 1:35 AM in response to Poikkeus

for the time that i was able to use my ipod touch, (got it used, then it got stuck in recovery mode a short time after and my computer will not recognize the ipod in order to restore it... sigh) , i found the onboard touch keypad to be very easy to use, i do type slower than i probably would with an external keyboard, but i definitely prefer less wpm to an extra peripheral device, without a doubt.

I dont see much incentive for a company to create an external keyboard anyway; I think most people are content with the onboard kboard.

Jun 23, 2010 9:47 AM in response to Poikkeus

I wish SOMEONE would come up with a portable, foldable keyboard for the iTouch. That would make it PERFECT for many situations I deal with.

I don't have an iPad. I don't want one. I don't carry my laptop with me everywhere. I want full features with the iTouch. I can't believe I'm the only one.

Why is this scenario impossible? I've found Forum posts elsewhere going back several years requesting an external keyboard, but still the answer is no. Why?

Why not a iPod Touch external keyboard? The iPad has one....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.