Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stop deleting photos when syncing

Is there a way to add photos from a PC to the IPad with out deleting what is already on the IPad I have well over 2000 photos that I added in one go took hours, now it seems to want to delete all before I add more.

IPAD, iPhone OS 3.1.3

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2010 5:41 PM

When you tell iTunes to sync photos (from the Photos tab you get when you click on your iPad), it gives the choice of selecting a folder on your computer to sync with. Just make sure all the photos you put on your iPad previously are in that folder. Then just add whatever new photos you want on your iPad to that folder. When it syncs, all photos already there will stay there while the new ones are added. I know it gives that scary, "All photos on your iPad will be replaced..." thing, but it's ok as long as all the photos you want on your iPad are in the folder on your computer that you sync to.

You couldn't have put those photos on your iPad without a sync, unless you manually emailed them to yourself or something, in which case they'd be in the Saved Photos album not the Photo Library album which can only be managed through a sync using iTunes. So you must have done that at least once before. However, syncing photos, even a lot of them, shouldn't take that long. What does take a long time is that iPad backup that syncing also does. However, if you want to just skip that and go right to the syncing, just click the little x to the right of the "backing up iPad" message and the backup will abort and you'll go right into the syncing only. Also, remember that syncing photos only affects photos in your Photo Library album. Photos in the other Saved Photos album are unaffected by the sync process.

Hope that helps.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2010 5:41 PM in response to GRUMPY55

When you tell iTunes to sync photos (from the Photos tab you get when you click on your iPad), it gives the choice of selecting a folder on your computer to sync with. Just make sure all the photos you put on your iPad previously are in that folder. Then just add whatever new photos you want on your iPad to that folder. When it syncs, all photos already there will stay there while the new ones are added. I know it gives that scary, "All photos on your iPad will be replaced..." thing, but it's ok as long as all the photos you want on your iPad are in the folder on your computer that you sync to.

You couldn't have put those photos on your iPad without a sync, unless you manually emailed them to yourself or something, in which case they'd be in the Saved Photos album not the Photo Library album which can only be managed through a sync using iTunes. So you must have done that at least once before. However, syncing photos, even a lot of them, shouldn't take that long. What does take a long time is that iPad backup that syncing also does. However, if you want to just skip that and go right to the syncing, just click the little x to the right of the "backing up iPad" message and the backup will abort and you'll go right into the syncing only. Also, remember that syncing photos only affects photos in your Photo Library album. Photos in the other Saved Photos album are unaffected by the sync process.

Hope that helps.

stop deleting photos when syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.