Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with g devices and new AEBS

Hello,
My old (round) Airport Base Station quit working and I bought a new AEBS. I set up a new network with a new name. I tried to use n network but two wifi radios would not connect. So I used the AirPort Utility to change the AEBS to 802.11a - 802.11b/g. Now the wifi radios work OK.
By downgrading the new network to b/g capability, have I lost the capability to use the n speeds?
Could I use an AE to create the b/g network and use the AEBS to create an n network using the one broadband input?

iMac 17"; iMac 20"; MacBookPro 15"; iPod Touch, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 10:34 AM

By downgrading the new network to b/g capability, have I lost the capability to use the n speeds?

If you configure both radios to a non-"n" setting, then yes, you will lose the advantage of "n" speeds for wireless devices that are "n" capable.

Could I use an AE to create the b/g network and use the AEBS to create an n network using the one broadband input?

Yes. You have several choices: 1) Configure both radios (2.4 & 5 GHz) to support all modes: 802.11a/b/g/n, between them, 2) Configure the 5 GHz radio to only support "n" and the 2.4 GHz radio to only support non-"n", 3) Configure the 5 GHz radio to only support non-"n" and the 2.4 GHz radio to support only "n", and 4) a number of other mode variants.

If you let me know what clients types you want to be supported on which radio, I can help you find the best radio mode to set your AEBSn to.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2010 10:34 AM in response to rdm2402

If you configure both radios to a non-"n" setting, then yes, you will lose the advantage of "n" speeds for wireless devices that are "n" capable.

Yes. You have several choices: 1) Configure both radios (2.4 & 5 GHz) to support all modes: 802.11a/b/g/n, between them, 2) Configure the 5 GHz radio to only support "n" and the 2.4 GHz radio to only support non-"n", 3) Configure the 5 GHz radio to only support non-"n" and the 2.4 GHz radio to support only "n", and 4) a number of other mode variants.

If you let me know what clients types you want to be supported on which radio, I can help you find the best radio mode to set your AEBSn to.

Apr 11, 2010 11:16 AM in response to rdm2402

Thanks for the prompt reply.
The two wifi radios can only receive wireless in b or g speeds. So I'd ideally have one wireless network with just g settings for t hose wifi receivers.

Then, again ideally, I'd like to have a separate network for the computers with n speeds.

With one AEBSn and two new AE (one for iTunes and one TBD) could I use one AE for the iTunes and set the other AE up to "Create a new network" with the g speeds?

(I'm going to be out of the house for four hours, starting now.)

Thanks,
Ron Morris

Apr 11, 2010 11:51 AM in response to rdm2402

With one AEBSn and two new AE (one for iTunes and one TBD) could I use one AE for the iTunes and set the other AE up to "Create a new network" with the g speeds?

Since you have a dual-band AEBSn, you can configure it to use separate Network Names for each radio. If you configure it for the following radio mode: "802.11n only (5 GHz) - 802.11b/g," you can have "n" only clients connect to the 5 GHz radio, and non-"n" clients connect to the 2.4 GHz radio. A separate AX would not be required to create the 802.11b/g network. You could, of course, configure multiple AXs to "join" either radio for iTunes streaming and/or printer sharing.

Apr 11, 2010 10:16 PM in response to Tesserax

Hello Again,
I sort of understand the setting up of two wifi networks, but you used the terms "radio and radio mode" and I'm not familiar with those.

The two different wifi radios need to log onto a wireless network (by name) and it needs to be .g speed.

I fear that if I ask the AEBS to set up two different wireless networks then the wifi radios will not be able to log on. When I set the AEBS up to create a dual speed network, the wifi radios would not log on. That is why I thought I'd need an AX to set up the b/g network.

Right now, everything works but at b/g speeds and I guess I could live with that.

Apr 12, 2010 11:32 AM in response to rdm2402

I sort of understand the setting up of two wifi networks, but you used the terms "radio and radio mode" and I'm not familiar with those.

By "radio" I mean that your AEBSn has two independent radios, one for the 2.4 and the other for the 5 GHz radio band. Each radio is capable of broadcasting a Wi-Fi network in that radio band. By "radio mode" I am referring to the Radio Mode options (on the Wireless tab) in the AirPort Utility. Sorry for any confusion that I may have introduced.

The two different wifi radios need to log onto a wireless network (by name) and it needs to be .g speed.

I see that you are using "wifi radios" to mean the wireless capability of your devices ... correct? ... and if, so then you are establishing that all of these devices work in the 2.4 GHz band (the band used by 802.11g).

By default, the AEBSn will support 802.11a/n clients on the 5 GHz radio, and 802.11b/g/n clients on the 5 GHz one ... so all of your "g" devices should connect to the AEBSn's 2.4 GHz radio.

... and why, you don't need to create a specific "g" network as the AEBSn is already supplying one.

Apr 12, 2010 12:48 PM in response to rdm2402

Hello and thanks again. We're getting there.

If I use AP Utility to set up two different wireless networks, can I name them differently? The reason I ask is the I use two C Crane wifi radios to listen to stations. They need to Log On to a netwrok that has b or g -- not n. For example, to establish a network for the C Crane radios to use, I could call it "Ronald b/g" and for a different wireless network for the Macs to use, I could call it "Ronald n" Does it sound like this would work?

Now to some separate questions. One AE is set up to "join a network" and iTunes is checked for it to work with iTunes at the home surround sound. Could it join the n network, since the unit is a new one?

The other AE unit is one that I'd like to "extend my network" to make the signal stronger downstairs. I suppose it would "extend" the n network?

Finally, the two CCrane radios can log on to the b/g network and hope the signal is strong enough. Is there a device that will make the signal strength of the b/g network stronger? I wouldn't mind purchasing another AE if I could set it up to make the b/g stronger.

Your information and advice has been very helpful so far.

Thanks,

Ron Morris

Trouble with g devices and new AEBS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.