Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Undo operation on iPad..

Has anyone noticed that the Undo operation on iPad is same as iPhone, which means you have to shake the device to undo? Shaking an iPhone is fine but very awkward for iPad give the size of the device. Needless to say, Shake to Undo is not intuitive for the first time user, even on iPhone. Very bizarre UI from Apple. I hope Apple will address this issue in the future release.

PC, Windows XP Pro, iPhone 3GS, iPad

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 1:17 AM

14 replies

Apr 13, 2010 1:46 PM in response to SolarPower

You're absolutely right, it is a pain. The keyboard definitely needs some work, starting off with scroll (arrow) keys. Something like MS's right-click context sensitive function list would also be nice (even Macs finally employed that one, albeit without the right click). And why does Pages have an Undo button but no Redo button? Took me a while to find Redo buried in the alternate keyboard.

Apr 14, 2010 7:44 AM in response to SolarPower

I think that should be disabled on the iPad as it poses a safety danger being a 2 LB netbook. I don't have one yet but shaking the iPhone back and forth doesn't work but left and right does.

Thinking about it as taking a netbook and shaking it to pull up the undo feature. Then the netbook flies out of your hand and right onto the floor or into a passerby's body or face causing substantial injury.

Mar 13, 2011 8:44 AM in response to Biff Webster

There is a little-known gestural capability built into the keyboard on the iPad. If you simply touch and hold the "123" button, the number keyboard will come up immediately and you can just slide your finger to "Undo". When you lift your finger, the keyboard immediately returns to the alphabetic version. This sounds complicated, but it's not at all...and it's one quick, fluid motion. Like this:

Touch "123", slide to "Undo", lift. There's no waiting for anything. Try it.

Undo operation on iPad..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.