Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iPod cable and power adapter be used for the iPad also?

Can the iPod USB cable and power adapter be used for the iPad as well? It would be nice to charge both my iPod and iPad in the same place without unplugging the adapter and cable. Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iMac 10.4.11 Powerbook 9.1

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 2:35 PM

You can use the same USB cable, but I wouldn't recommending using the iPhone wall connector. Use either the wall outlet that came with the iPad or else an approved 3rd party adapter that is iPad specific. The iPad is more power hunrgry than the iPhone/iPods.
8 replies

Jan 11, 2011 2:36 PM in response to Craig Brady

From what I've seen, cables DO make a difference. I have several iPhone and iPod charging cables around my house, some Apple branded some third party. The ONLY cable I have found that will charge my iPad is the one that came with it. Maybe it has something to do with the short length? I don't know, but it's frustrating.

Oh, and I was plugging the longer 6' iPod cable into the iPAD AC adapter to plug it into the wall. Weird.

Jan 11, 2011 2:38 PM in response to LHM

Charging should work with almost any length USB2 etender cable.
The unknown is at what current the Ipad "not charging message" changes.
THE Ipad is charging .

My computer USB port is supplying 0.61 amps to the Ipad and it says not charging BUT it moved from 90 percent to full charge.

Measured with a DC fluke clamp on amp meter and a 3 inch disembled USB extender cable.

The problem in using USB extender cables is Itune data sync.

six foot externder : NO sync
three foot extender : semi-sync - have to try a few time to get 100 percent
3 inch extender cable : works fine.

-------------

two of my USB extender cables - the 3 in and the 3 foot one did not have the data wires twisted or separately shielded. The cables did have one shield around all the wires.

USB2 has the shield(drain) and 4 wires :
2 data and 2 power ( +5volts and ground)

Message was edited by: jeffd55

Can iPod cable and power adapter be used for the iPad also?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.