Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of the E sign?

Hi guys,

The E sign is draining my battery. I tried my level best to get rid of it from my iPhone 3GS but with no luck.

EDGE is disabled
3G is disabled
Push notifications are off/Fetch new data is set to off

but

I still getting this E sign and battery is getting drained as usual.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Asim

iPhone 3GS White, iPhone OS 3.1.2

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 12:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 7:37 AM

It does sound like a hacked phone. There is no method to turn off "Edge" except Airplane Mode. Edge and GPRS are default services for iPhone 2G data service. GPRS is a 1G service used rarely and costs money during data roams. 3G/3GS has the option to disable and stay on Edge.

Both Edge and 3G drain the battery but not significantly unless you have several push notifications and you are running the internet and/or graphic games consistently. Your best bet is to have a charger ready everywhere or keep the cellular features (Push notifications, Mail, etc) turned off to preserve the battery.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2010 7:37 AM in response to ASiMac

It does sound like a hacked phone. There is no method to turn off "Edge" except Airplane Mode. Edge and GPRS are default services for iPhone 2G data service. GPRS is a 1G service used rarely and costs money during data roams. 3G/3GS has the option to disable and stay on Edge.

Both Edge and 3G drain the battery but not significantly unless you have several push notifications and you are running the internet and/or graphic games consistently. Your best bet is to have a charger ready everywhere or keep the cellular features (Push notifications, Mail, etc) turned off to preserve the battery.

Apr 13, 2010 4:11 AM in response to gumsie

Sounds like a hacked iPhone...

That's the only way I've seen people attempt to turn the edge off. The real kicker is that it doesn't work and the iPhone will still receive data through edge.

If the iPhone is not unlocked (which I doubt) call your service provider to cancel data being sent to the iPhone, which will get rid of the 3G or edge logo. With that said since the iPhone is always looking for a connection it might not save any battery life since the iPhone may be busy trying to find a connection.

How do I get rid of the E sign?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.