Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange cursor behaviour

My iMac has developed some strange behaviour involving the cursor. I cannot correlate this with any other events, such as software updates.

On web pages and similar windows, the cursor no longer changes shape when hovering over hyperlinks. The click still works and the cursor changes to the pointing finger as, or immediately after, the link is clicked.

On menus, the selection highlight doesn't move with the mouse, and the subsequent fold out sub menus don't appear unless the left mouse button is held down, in which case the menu selection works fine.

Yesterday, the click and drag stopped working for files in finder windows. It still works on the desktop icons, and text in windows and documents can still be selected by dragging the mouse. But I can no longer move files between folders by dragging; in particular, I can't move files out of the Trash without copying and pasting.

I have repaired permissions and checked the disc for errors, no change. I have started up in safe mode, where the odd behaviour is still present, and it remains after restarting normally. I have tried different user accounts, no change. My MacBook has virtually identical settings, applications, etc. and this is not suffering the same problems.

Anyone have any ideas what to try next, or what might be at the root of this issue, please?

Many thanks,
Stephen

iMac Intel; MacBook Pro Intel, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 3:27 AM

2 replies

Apr 13, 2010 4:14 AM in response to STCav

Further information:

I have re-applied the 10.5.8 Combi update but this changed nothing. All other applications are up to date.

I have booted the system from an external disc containing the last full clone about six weeks old. The behaviour is still present when booted from that clone, even though not all of the oddities were present that long ago. I've rechecked the iMac's hard disc while booted from the clone; no errors show.

Stephen

Apr 13, 2010 7:43 AM in response to STCav

Further update:

Following research in other topic discussions, I suspected that the problem was related to Intego VirusBarrier X5, which other users suggested caused problems when near or beyond expiry of the subscription. Mine has expired. On removing the Intego software, the drag and drop functionality was immediately restored. (The other, lesser problems are still there, but I can wait for a fix for those.)

This is a bizarre issue, and if it is deliberate to 'encourage' renewal of the subscription, it is disgraceful. I shall spend no more money with Intego.

Intego's uninstaller can be found here: http://support.intego.com/kb/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&id=214 and works well and quickly.

I would still be interested to hear any solutions for menu and cursor problems, please.

Regards,
Stephen

Strange cursor behaviour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.