Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to recover IN & OUT after exporting XML file from iMovie9 to FinalCut ?

Here is my WorkFlow :
- Log & Capture my HDV footage in FCP - ProRes422.
- Move the captured ProRes 422 clips to a new EVENT in iMovie.
- Roughcut my edits in iMovie with no effects, no audio goof offs, ... just straight cuts.
- Share ( export ) XML FCP file >> import XML file to FCP >> create Archive of FCP project with MediaManager to gather used clips in a new project.

Everything is great, BUT :
clips that MediaManager gathers in the browser window do not have the In & Out points, although clips on the timeline representing frame accurate cuts from iMovie.

Is there any way to do this and have the in & out points in browser clips matching to the cuts on the timeline ?

MacPro Q2.6 -6 GiG RAM - 300GiG Boot + 3TB Raided, Mac OS X (10.4.7), Mac Classic II , PB 180C , ..., iMac G5, MacPro 2.6

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 8:54 AM

12 replies

Apr 14, 2010 12:21 PM in response to Ai-Max

Is there any reason why you would want to have in and out matching your timeline?
Or do you mean Media Start and Media End?
In that case you need to make sure the Clips in the browser have a REEL number (column Reel in the Browser) BEFORE you Media Manage them.
Select the Sequence only. Then File > Media Manager... use the settings: Copy, Delete Unused Media. Don Not Include Masterclips outside selection. No Handles.

If I understand you correctly this is what you want. And if I were you I'd only use it on this project. In the future just use FCP and rescale your windows to the size you like...

Rienk

Apr 14, 2010 7:33 PM in response to RedTruck

Yes i do, in fact that's how i worked before i discovered the iMovie9 trick for the rough cutting stage. You see- the window sizes in FCP are only part of the issue. i prefer the iMovie interface because the Event Library works like a StoryBoard of some sort. It's continuos . Not only i can scrub the whole footage and examine the audio, i can also get a better visual reference of the footage by looking at " bands" of icones. Yet again that's my preference.
And off course there is only one application for fine tuning video to the perfection and that is the FinalCut Pro Suit of applications.

Apr 14, 2010 7:58 PM in response to Rienk

Thank you very much for correcting my terminology. Yes, in fact i meant matching the clips on the time line to the Media Start and Media End in the browser. i am going to follow your instructions tomorrow in a test project. i will report back.
" red Truck " is suggesting for the FCP screen sizes and arrangement as you did and i replied to his post in detail. Basically i prefer the continues bands of icones that iMovie's Event Library offers. They are scrub-able and the window gives kinda story board for quick rough cutting.

Thanks again

Apr 15, 2010 5:54 AM in response to Ai-Max

Do what you want, I'm not trying to change your workflow, but you can do all you say you do in FCP. If you change the browser to icon view, you can place the icons in a storyboard sequence right in the browser, and the icons are scrubable as well. In FCP, you can export EDLs, which you can't do in iMovie. You can also set the timeline window to dislplay the clips in Filmstrip view, which gives you the same visual representation that you have in iMovie. If you zoom all the way into your timeline, you can see every single frames as a thumbnail.

You already have the pro application. You're really only slowing yourself down by rough cutting in iMovie. But do as you will. In the end, it's really only about telling a story. I just prefer to have the least amount of obstacles while doing so.

May 14, 2010 12:05 PM in response to Ai-Max

# Log & Capture my HDV footage in FCP - ProRes422.
# Move the captured ProRes 422 clips to a new EVENT in iMovie.

WHY...?!?! iMovie 09 converts to AIC. Why not just capture in that format and save yourself unnecessary steps. Learn to use FCP with all the shortcuts and you'll never go back. This is like owning a Ferrari, but putting a Ford engine in it because it "seems" better to you. Stick with what you start with and save the trouble.

Just my $.02
Good luck to you

How to recover IN & OUT after exporting XML file from iMovie9 to FinalCut ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.