Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wiki web access

our company has a wiki set up on our local network. I would like to explore options for allowing users to access this wiki outside of our subnet, without having to use vpn.

we have a website that is hosted on host monster so the question is: Could I use out host-monster hosting to point a domain such as our domain.com/wiki to our osx wiki?

what is required to do this?
is it even possible or will i have to acquire a different domain and somehow point hat to our wiki.

any help would be appreciated.

Mac OS X (10.5.8), server

Posted on Apr 14, 2010 10:49 AM

5 replies

Apr 14, 2010 1:39 PM in response to jlakser49

Be careful what you ask - or at least how you ask it.

Could I use out host-monster hosting to point a domain such as our domain.com/wiki to our osx wiki?

yes, but it's complex and probably not what you need.

Since all traffic for 'domain.com' will go to the hosted server, the hosted server would have to look at the request, determine that it's a request for a /wiki page, and then probably proxy the connection to retrieve the page from you and return it to the user.

So yes, it can be done, but it would be far, far easier to just setup a new hostname in your domain, e.g. 'wiki.domain.com' and have that point to your server (potentially through port forwarding in your router.

Then users only have to hit http://wiki.domain.com/ to get to your wiki server, or use http://domain.com/ to get to your regular web site.

So you don't need another domain, you just need a new hostname in your existing domain that points to your server. Whoever manages your DNS should be able to do this for you in minutes.

Apr 14, 2010 2:45 PM in response to jlakser49

this works!

the only problem is I am not sure what external ip address to assign to the dns entry.

if I launch vnc serveR on my osx server i get an external ip, however when I set up the DNS entry to use this ip address i get forwarded to the login page for our network firewall, dhcp, vpn. (us robotics 8200 I believe). is there something i have to do within this firewall to forward the traffic along to osx web services.

Apr 14, 2010 3:51 PM in response to jlakser49

Yes - you'll need to tell your router to accept connections on the public port 80 and forward them to your server. The specifics/mechanics of this will be buried in the admin interface of the router, each make/model of which works slightly differently.

You may also find that your router is incapable of forwarding requests from clients on the internal network back to the internal server so make sure you test this from outside your network first, then you can resolve the internal clients issue.

wiki web access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.