You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FM Transmitter

I just bought the 30GB iPOD Video. Which FM transmitter is recommended for the 30GB iPOD video? There are so many FM transmitters out there, which one should I get?

Windows XP

Posted on Nov 21, 2005 12:44 AM

9 replies

Nov 23, 2005 5:00 AM in response to rwillso

Ditto. The Griffi iTrip. But do get the model with the rotary knob on its side to select FM frequencies as opposed to the older model still in sale. Check out Griffin's website for info. I also suggest to try ebay. I remember a company in England selling them for a very low price (sorry. I don't remember which one. I just saw it in passing...).

A.

Nov 24, 2005 8:33 AM in response to rwillso

Don't buy the Griffin iTrip! The LCD one is a piece of junk!! It makes a "popping" noise before each song and you have to play the music in "mono" to remove the background noise.
Check out the Kensington Digital FM Transmitter. Hooks to the bottom dock connector on you pod and charges it too. Excellent sound quality and a 5 year warranty too!

Good luck.

Nov 26, 2005 1:02 AM in response to jeff seidl

Re: Don't buy the Griffin iTrip! The LCD one is a piece of junk!! It makes a "popping" noise before each song and you have to play the music in "mono" to remove the background noise.

Really?...That seems bizarre. I mean, why would they release such a faulty product, surely, that's unacceptable. Are you sure there's nothing wrong with your unit? I was looking for an FM transmitter also, but I do not want one with the charger for the car as I want to use it for transmitting to a home stereo too. I guess I'll try it out in the store before buying it, and if it has the problem you mentioned, I'd be very disappointed because it seems the best.
I particularly like the Griffin FM transmitter that connects to the dock connector of the iPod. From a sound-quality point of view, this is a better path than the headphone jack, so I assume that the signal coming out of the dock would be cleaner. Anyone had any experience with this particular item (Griffin FM transmitter dock connection)?

Nov 26, 2005 2:54 PM in response to Ant1

Ant, Get the orginial iTrip if you want a transmitter to play your iPod through your stereo. You'll have to add all the FM frequencies to your iPod, but you won't get any problems. Better sound quality too.
I asked the person I called at Griffin the same question you asked. He didn't have an answer. He said they knew about the problem but couldn't do anything about it. I'm not the only person with this problem. Lots of people on the iLounge forums having the same problem with this product. Don't get the LCD iTrip!

Nov 27, 2005 2:26 AM in response to jeff seidl

Thanks Jeff. I actually bought originally the "original" iTrip - the one that you have to store the frequencies in your iPod, but I returned it. First I didn't like having to store the freq on the iPod when some other products did not make you do that. But secondly - and most importantly - I felt the sound quality whilst transmitting to a car radio was mediocre, with lots of hiss. Good enough, though, on a home stereo. That's why I was interested in the iTrip LCD: no storing of freq. and they advertised something about a new technology Griffin had developed that resulted in better sound quality. But after what you said about it, well, that's out of the race now...I still wonder about the other alternative from Griffin, the iTrip that connects to the dock connector. Does anyone know if it is affected with the same problems as the one connected to the the top of the iPod?

A.

Nov 27, 2005 9:05 AM in response to Ant1

Ant, The original iTrip works better if you have your iPod being charged thru the cigarette lighter while it's playing your music. That grounds out your iPod with your car and makes the sound quality better and the hiss lower.
When I had my iTrip, I used a Power Pod to charge my iPod thru the bottom dock connector. With the Kensington one I have now, it charges and plays thru the dock connector which really improves the sound quality over the original iTrip!

Enjoy your summer Ant!

FM Transmitter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.