Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the 10 watt iPad charger also be used with an iPhone (or iPod touch)?

I don't want to be forced to carry both chargers on trips. OTOH, if this isn't a "smart" charger, do I run the risk of overheating the battery in my iPhone (and shortening its life) if I use the iPad charger for both appliances?

I know the iPhone charger will charge the iPad; albeit, very slowly, but how about the other way around. Can I use the iPad charger to charge my iPhone without harming it?

Those two chargers are very similar in appearance so someone's going to do it, whether intentionally or not. Any adverse consequences?

2x MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro, Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 4:23 PM

24 replies

Apr 15, 2010 5:16 PM in response to Felix01

Additionally, the Apple description of the iPad 10W USB Power Adapter makes no mention of it being compatible with anything but the iPad. Of course, that might just be an oversight but it appears there's no official Apple verbiage on the acceptability of cross use even though the chargers look the same and use the same connectors; thus, will be very easy to mix up.

Apr 16, 2010 11:18 AM in response to Felix01

The iPad charger can supply up to ~2amps at 5 volts. This doesn't mean that it will force this amount of current into a different iDevice if connected and cause damage. An iPhone will draw what it needs. I've used it to charge a gen 1 iPhone and iPod touch with no deleterious effects.

Apr 16, 2010 11:26 AM in response to Felix01

Everything I've read (a lot) says there's no problem using the iPad's charger on iPhone or Touch. However, charging your iPad with the charger for those devices will take much longer since that charger isn't as powerful as the iPad's. You can certainly do it, it will just take longer and I don't know if it will charge if the iPad is on while using the iPhone charger.

Apr 17, 2010 6:32 AM in response to mr-internet

@"I also note that the ipad charges from the iphone charger as well"

As I noted in the original post, that's documented by Apple (although the process is very slow) but I've found no place where corporate Apple has addressed the opposite circumstances...that of using the 10W iPad charger with the iPhone and/or iPod touch.

Lots of circumstantial approvals but nothing definitive from Apple. In fact, as I also noted further up in the thread, an Apple Support Representative is being quoted as saying the chargers should only be used with their respective devices.

Apr 17, 2010 6:38 AM in response to StevePug2

@"Everything I've read (a lot) says there's no problem using the iPad's charger on iPhone or Touch."

"Everything" is pretty definitive...guess you didn't read the link above attributed to an Apple Support Rep saying you shouldn't. But if you run across anything by Apple, please post the link!

@"I don't know if it will charge if the iPad is on while using the iPhone charger."

Apple has already documented that...it will but the process is quite lengthy.

Apr 17, 2010 6:47 AM in response to sjv

@"I've used it to charge a gen 1 iPhone and iPod touch with no deleterious effects."

The 10W iPad charger has been available, what, two weeks? Time for a few iPhone charges but certainly not long enough to determine if we'll see any long-term effects to the iPhone's battery.

I just find it curious Apple hasn't addressed the question directly (they did cover the opposite circumstances of using the lower-powered iPhone charger on the iPad) since there will be lots of users with both devices who'd like the flexibility of carrying only one charger but would like to use the 10W version to speed up the iPad charging process.

Apr 17, 2010 8:12 AM in response to Felix01

I can tell you that from personal experience, the iPad adapter charges iPhones and iPods perfectly well, and that given the physics of it (meaning devices only draw the current they require, up to the limit of the adaptor to provide) there is no danger in using the iPad adaptor for this, since the voltage is correct.

Apr 17, 2010 8:38 AM in response to Charles Minow

@"From the end of the product overview:

It also charges iPhone and all iPod models with a dock connector.

charlie"

Hey, thanks for that, Charlie...question solved and appropriately credited. I read that page several days ago and the last sentence you highlighted wasn't in there. Glad to see Apple has clarified and given their official blessing to use the 10W iPad charger with the iPhone and all iPod models.

Appreciate your response.

Jul 7, 2010 5:42 AM in response to AndyO

I just went on a trip and didn't want to take two chargers, so I just took my ipad charger, figuring it could do both- and I found it doesn't charge my 3G. I left it plugged in all night, and it made the chirp noise, and showed the big green battery 'charging' screen. But in the morning, the battery indicator was exactly the same as when I'd plugged it in. BUT- the little battery icon in the upper right corner had changed from a lightning bolt (charging) to a plug (charged). So I'm not sure if it didn't charge, or if it DID charge, but the indicator just didn't change.

Can the 10 watt iPad charger also be used with an iPhone (or iPod touch)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.