Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

displays go black and won't wake up since 10.6.3

Since the 10.6.3 update

Randomly, and out of no where, my displays will simply go black. As if they are asleep. But I can't wake them up. This Mac Pro is the server for my office and it still acts like the server and I can access it's files through the finder on my laptop. I just can't get the displays to wake up. They are two 20" cinema displays, about three years old.

iMac intel, Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 5:20 PM

7 replies

Apr 15, 2010 7:47 PM in response to Daniel Peck

So, I'm adding to the list of problems as I've tried to trouble shoot this.

The displays work fine. I've confirmed that by plugging them into other computers.

Whereas before, when I restarted the computer, I would get my displays back, now when I attempt to restart, I see the gray start up screen briefly, I see the apple sign, but no gear symbol spinning, and then the screen goes black.

I have tried this with two displays attached, one display, and connected to all four display ports on the tower. All with the same result. A brief gray screen at start up and the screen goes black just after the apple shows up.

The computer appears to continue to run. I have no idea if it boots up all the way since I can't see what is happening.

If I wait long enough, I can get into the files of the computer on the local area network through the finder.

However, the name of the computer has been changing with each successive start up. It was mac pro, now I see mac pro (2), mac pro (3), mac pro (4), and now mac pro (5). So there appears to be a network, ip address sort of an issue?

I have to select the most recent renaming in order to connect and get into the computers files.

I cannot do a screen share as I was once able to. Early on, I tried this first to see if I could "wake up" the displays, but all I saw during the screen share was black screens.

I cannot see the computer from home when I normally could through mobile me.

I have tried to reset the pram, no help there. I have tried to start up off of another disk holding down the option key, no luck. the same thing always happens, I get a gray screen, the apple comes on, and poof, the screen goes black, but the computer seems to be running.

Craziness.

Jun 6, 2010 11:24 PM in response to Daniel Peck

I am having the same problem and it is very frustrating. Display goes black and I can still hear the CPU behaving like normal but the keyboard does not work either. Have you solved this yet. Apple Care was no help. Only way to move on is to push the power button and wait for several minutes before turning back on. Display seems to be asleep. Any help would be a godsend. Thanks!

Jun 29, 2010 9:11 AM in response to Daniel Peck

HELP HELP HELP HELP.
Everything was normal, I was watching the RedBull Air Race and got up. I have Hughes Net Satellite Internet. I came back and due to excesive downloads Huges froze my connection (They do that, don't get Hughes if you can help it). As I was trying to turn the modem on and off to reset it, the computer went to sleep. I could not wake it after that.
I tried turning it off, Disconecting the cables, Everything I could think of but when I pressed the ON button everytime the machine would go directly into sleep mode or something similar. My house is in the country and our electricity is weak sometines. It has turned my computer off a few times even tho I have a power APC batery protector. PLEASE HELP.

displays go black and won't wake up since 10.6.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.