Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic 9 - Composing with a movie, too slow

Hello!
I'm composing a music for a movie (7 minutes long , .mov).

Why Logic is too slow when I open the movie's preview window (top-left)?

I can't work beacause it is very slow.If I don't watch the movie during playback, it works perfectly.
But I need to watch the movie when I record the part.

Please help me and see the notes about my mac.

Best regards.

MacBook White (5,2), Mac OS X (10.6.3), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ , 4gb ddr

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 1:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 1:50 AM

This problem comes up very often on this forum. You most probably are using the wrong video format for the video. My guess is that your QT file is in H264 format, which is a bad idea for working with Logic, it requires far too much CPU resources to be decoded in realtime, and it makes Logic very sluggish and unresponsive.

Do this:

Open your video in Quicktime Pro. If you don't have Quicktime Pro, get it or find another program to convert video files to different formats. Export a version of the video in 'DV stream' format. This is by far the best one to use in Logic because it requires the least CPU power to play. The file size will be much bigger than the H264 version you probably already have, but that doesn't matter. Then in Logic, open this movie instead. You'll find that Logic will now perform normally again and you'll be able to work perfectly fine.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2010 1:50 AM in response to Kokkolos

This problem comes up very often on this forum. You most probably are using the wrong video format for the video. My guess is that your QT file is in H264 format, which is a bad idea for working with Logic, it requires far too much CPU resources to be decoded in realtime, and it makes Logic very sluggish and unresponsive.

Do this:

Open your video in Quicktime Pro. If you don't have Quicktime Pro, get it or find another program to convert video files to different formats. Export a version of the video in 'DV stream' format. This is by far the best one to use in Logic because it requires the least CPU power to play. The file size will be much bigger than the H264 version you probably already have, but that doesn't matter. Then in Logic, open this movie instead. You'll find that Logic will now perform normally again and you'll be able to work perfectly fine.

Logic 9 - Composing with a movie, too slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.