Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drafts Bug?

Every time I save a draft email on my iPad, the to/fro email addresses and subject info is either ERASED or CHANGES to other email addresses from my contact list. I have to go back in and replace the incorrect info. ALSO, I just did that and sent the email, to find that a photo from a completely different email had attached itself to this email!! (And did it twice because I'd saved the draft twice.) This is v. dangerous, can someone help me? Thank you!

FYI, this seems to only be happening with my IMAP email account.

iPad

Posted on Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM

18 replies

Apr 25, 2010 6:35 AM in response to happygirl811

I have been experiencing very similar buggy behavior with the Drafts folder. I've found three distinct problems over the past few weeks. I've done some careful testing, and these all happen pretty often, some all of the time:
1. I edit an existing draft and try to resave it (cancel/save), and the changes are not saved
2. I edit an existing draft and the to/from and subject info are replaced by the information from a different Drafts message
3. I send an existing draft and what arrives is a message with no content. And there is no record of the message being sent from my Sent folder.

I have filed problem 1. as a bug with Apple. I will file the others as well.

For reference:
- The email account is a MobileMe account
- I have the Advanced settings configured to save Drafts on the server
- I have not seen these problems occur on the Mac or iPhone versions of mail, only the iPad.

Apr 25, 2010 9:41 AM in response to g4444

I appreciate you logging these problems. I deleted my IMAP account and set it up again and it seems to be working fine but I will do further testing.

I too am experiencing:
1. I edit an existing draft and try to re-save it (cancel/save), and the changes are not saved
2. I edit an existing draft and the to/from and subject info are replaced by the information from a different Drafts message

# I have the Advanced settings configured to save Drafts on the server

Apr 27, 2010 9:13 PM in response to happygirl811

So...it's still happening even after re-establishing my IMAP email account. This time, I save a draft. The draft preview window is correct (correct "to:" and "subject:" info.) But when I select the message to continue writing, it replaces the correct info with other to: and subject lines from my inbox. THEN, I save the message again and go back in and the info corrects itself.

Apr 30, 2010 3:19 PM in response to happygirl811

I had all the same issues with Gmail on my iPad this morning as were listed above. I found a helpful posting at http://echeng.com/journal/2010/04/05/how-to-properly-set-up-gmail-with-your-ipad / This helped but I also had to look at Google's recommendations for setting up mail on an iPhone. In the end I set up imap manually, and then changed the advanced settings after reestablishing the account. See https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78892# After some testing, the problems appear to be solved.

Jun 21, 2010 4:32 PM in response to happygirl811

I've been having a nightmare with this.

My accounts are setup as IMAP accounts and are accessed from 2 computers and an iPhone and iPad.

I often have a number of email messages in my drafts folder and repeatedly my iPad has sent an email I have edited from the drafts folder to the wrong recipient. On one occasion this was extremely embarrassing! The person it sends the email to is always the recipient of another email in my drafts folder - ie I'll have one email I am in the middle of writing to Dave and another one to Tracy, I'll edit the one to Dave, send it and it'll be sent to Tracy instead. From memory the iPad will then remove both the draft for Dave and the one for Tracy, even though I have just emailed ine of them.

I'm confident it's not an issue with my mail ISP as it works fine with my other computers.

It's got to the point where I am unable to edit and send draft messages on my iPad as I don't know who they'll be sent to.

Jun 26, 2010 1:21 PM in response to OliOC

Been using iPad instead of MacBook Air 90% of the time and I have now lost three great, very long email drafts in my IMAP account because I thought they were being saved in 'Drafts' folder. This is extremely annoying. When I hit 'save' I actually expect it to save 'somewhere' locally or on the server.

After reading these posts I went into advanced settings and identified a folder on the server and all seems to be working with test emails now. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

Sep 19, 2010 3:38 PM in response to metaphorist

I've had similar problems with my MobileMe mail on my 'Pad: deleted Subjects, etc.

After reading all the posts on this topic, I tried changing my Drafts folder from the server to my iPad. The result was that two drafts on the server were visible, but could not be edited or moved. I tried reversing the Drafts location, but to no avail. I finally recreated them (both very short, thankfully) and sent them. The drafts on my iPad could be deleted, and were.

I haven't yet looked at the iPad User Guide to see what it says about these oddities.

Anyone know what the rules are?

harv47

Drafts Bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.