Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete

I can't delete an old .sparsebundle to clear space for the back up of my new MacBook Pro Intel Core i7 backup. When trying to delete, I get this message.

The operation can’t be completed because the item “bands” is in use.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 17, 2010 6:22 PM

3 replies

Apr 17, 2010 9:05 PM in response to Ronniebel

Ronniebel wrote:
How do I dismount it?

Erasing is not an option. There are 2 MacBook backups on it, my wife's and my daughter's. Neither are here and redoing their backups would be difficult, perhaps impossible.

Sorry, I probably should have said Eject it. If it's on your desktop, right-click it and choose Eject. If it's in a Finder window's sidebar, it should have an Eject symbol next to it.

If it's not shown either place, try +Finder > Preferences,+ then either General (for your Desktop) or Sidebar and check the +External Disks+ box.

If it's still not shown, start the +Disk Utility+ app in your Applications/Utilities folder. If it appears in the sidebar, select it and click the Eject symbol in the toolbar (or +File > Eject Disk Image+ from the menubar).

If still no help, try +Airport Utility.+ Select +*Base Station > Manual Set-Up+* from the Menubar, then Disks in the tool Bar, then +*Disconnect All Users+*

Can't delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.