You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharp edges of MacBook Pro

Just bought a brand new MacBook Pro 15" the other day and already have sore wrists with scar-like lines on them left by the sharp edge of the machine. I searched online to see if anyone has the same problem and found this article about a man filing down the sharp edge of his MacBook Pro. Not sure it is a good idea (can the warranty be impacted?), but what else could be done to protect my wrists? I'm a skinny girl and have sensitive skin and veins. I can add that I really like this laptop's performance, but my previous MacBook Pro felt way better "physically." But I'd like to keep this new one too.

Does anyone use these cases? Do they help to hide the sharp edge? Does the laptop get too hot being enclosed in this case all the time?

http://store.apple.com/us/search?find=SeeThru+Satin&mco=MTA4MjM1MjA

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 19, 2010 3:29 PM

24 replies

Apr 20, 2010 6:10 PM in response to RaspberryLatte

To anyone who may read this thread:

*Whatever you do, do not take a file to the edge of the case.*

The person on the internet who promotes this has no idea about the properties of anodized aluminum.

If you file off the anodized finish the aluminum underneath will oxidize when exposed to normal atmospheric conditions. This is not a good thing, and will affect the finish of the computer. Apple may also refuse warranty service to a purposely damaged machine. It is at their sole discretion to do so.

The case ideas are much better ways of dealing with this. As well, while typing, your hands/wrists should be raised off the palm-rest area for proper ergonomics.

--Travis

Jun 2, 2010 3:37 PM in response to RaspberryLatte

I completely agree with everyone distressed by the sharp edge. perhaps Apple is trying to enforce good hand posture through negative stimuli.
I actually asked about this at the apple store today and the guy there said he has heard this from many people and that one should "send feedback" to apple because of course they are listening. anyone know where to do that?
my solution has been to get some of those gel wrist supports to keep my wrists up. they have pretty nonskid bottoms but haven't tried them lying in bed to see if they help. the ones i have came from intelligels, but I'm sure there are of dozens similar things out there.

Apr 19, 2010 3:52 PM in response to RaspberryLatte

From what I gather, there are a few individual machines with particularly sharp edges. If you have access to an Apple Store or Apple Retailer, you can check out some of the demonstration models and see if they all have the same sharp edge or if yours has an abnormally sharp edge. If yours is unusually sharp, you may want to consider a replacement.

The Speck case may help, as it looks like it comes all the way up to the sharp edge and may provide some protection. Lots of people use these and like them, but others don't. No doubt people who have them will post back and give you their opinions.

Good luck!

Apr 19, 2010 5:47 PM in response to RaspberryLatte

Latte, I am glad someone brought the subject up. I am a big ol' boy and those edges are brutal! (Mine is a MBP 17 a month old)

I thought about filing the edges down but figured it would take off the anodized finish and it would tarnish differently.

Next time I am in the Apple Store I am going to handle a few and see if it is a characteristic of these machines. IF it is, it's a poor design...

Message was edited by: Mateomasfeo

Apr 20, 2010 4:41 AM in response to RaspberryLatte

I expect very few people use "proper typing technique". Even on desktop computers where you can use a keyboard tray and have a more permanent position, most people do not have their hands raised... hence the reason for just about all keyboards having a wrist rest area.

There are a number of products out there designed to protect the casing of your machine... such as BodyGuardz:

http://www.bodyguardz.com/content/accessories/6-41--1985.htm

The problem with most of them is that they are designed to fit "exactly" to your machine and they still leave that edge there. It's possible that extra fraction of a millimeter they add may be enough to keep your hands from the sharp spot. Another option might be to get a small one that you won't mind cutting up. You could put a little strip along the front that goes from the top over the edge just a little. They mold pretty nicely and adhere well. They're also completely removable should you decide you don't like it.

Apr 20, 2010 12:46 PM in response to JoeyR

JoeyR, I have the Moshi Palmguard on my MBP and it didn't help with the edge at all since it fits the case perfectly.

The sharp edges are really bothering me. I won't file the case because I don't want to do anything to alter it, but I am going to start experimenting by finding some neoprene or something similar that I can stick to the edge.

Apr 20, 2010 8:39 PM in response to sdschramm

I thought about doing this: but its not worth the risk.

Plain and simple, that guy in the video is an idiot. He has no idea as to the chemistry of aluminum, or the anodized aluminum that Apple has used for these machines. Sad that not many people in the comments are aware either. He may have just caused a lot of problems with that video, particularly in acting like he knows something, when in fact he knows nothing.

Wish he would have posted a follow up video 3 months later.

--Travis

Apr 21, 2010 2:15 PM in response to Travis A.

I would have to agree--not a good thing to do. It makes me wonder, though, if the sharp edge is on every MBP, or if there are a few out there that weren't properly deburred before they were anodized.

Did come across this product that might help, and it doesn't involve doing anything to the computer:

http://www.imakproducts.com/product.php?c=Wrist/+CarpalTunnel&s=20128

I found these in stock at Office Depot for $15 and at Office Max for $13. They are packaged so that you can try them on and see if they position your hand so that you miss the edge. Maybe worth a try.

May 17, 2010 9:01 AM in response to RaspberryLatte

I too has got one of these "cutting edge" mac book pro. I´m really surprised that these problems has not been addressed before production. This (2010) is my first macbook pro, and I´m even more surprised when I see that this has been a problem for a couple of years already. Doesn't BIG STEEVE use a macbook pro himself ? Except for that - a great computer!

Sharp edges of MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.