Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac login screen does not appear

Morning:

My girlfriend informed me this morning that she was trying to use the iMac this morning and the login screen does not come on EVEN AFTER she has forced the computer to shutdown and restart.

She said that yesterday all she did was increase the time for the system to go to sleep in the system preferences and that was it.

You can see the cursor on the screen and it moves. You can hear the fan and everything but no login screen.

I've never had this problem with any other Mac.

Does anyone know of the remedy to get the login screen to show up from this issue?

Apple G5 & Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 7:09 AM

3 replies

Apr 20, 2010 10:23 AM in response to Mac-Medic

I just talked to her a few minutes ago and she says that they had a hard time logging onto the Internet yesterday and had to REBOOT the router (which I'm assuming is turning it on and off).

She also mentioned that something similar like this happened to her on a Windows machine but the login box was moved out view of the screen.

Moving the login screen is not possible with the mouse....tried it on another Mac.

if safe mode moves the cache files of some applications, do you think it may clear up the problem?

Apr 21, 2010 12:42 AM in response to NBASCRIBE

I have a similar problem. In my case I suspect that an MS Office 2008 update might be the cause. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I posted this in the Snow Leopard forum. I did try safe restart ... no luck.

Hi - I been the happy owner of an Imac 27 inch for a couple of weeks. But this morning it will not start up. I only get af blue screen, nothing else. No message of any kind. I updated MS Office 2008 yesterday. Could this be the cause of the problem?
I can log on to the Imac via my macbook and retrieve documents. So the hardware seems to be fine.
So ... what is the best way to proceed?
Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated

iMac login screen does not appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.