Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playing iPhone movies on a Portable DVD Player

*I have a SONY Portable DVD Player DVP-FX950. I want to play my downloaded movies from my iPhone on the DVD player* to 1) Be able to view on a larger screen, 2) Limit the number of DVD cases floating about my car on long road trips, and 3) Limit car/motion sickness from viewing movies on a small screen. This question has been asked before and the answers given were inadequate, irrelevant or inaccurate. Based on the answer to a similar question on the Apple Store FAQ AND iLounge, I purchased the Apple Composite AV Cable believing it would work. This answer was given to the asker in error. The video and audio connectors on the cable are not compatible/cannot be used with the corresponding ports in the DVD player. This cable only works with TVs and Home theater/stereo receivers with a protruding, cylindrical receptor. The DVD player needs a jack similar to a headphone. *Does ANYONE know if this can be done and how?*

Sony VAIO, iPhone OS 3.1.3, Windows 7 Home Premium

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 2:20 PM

Unless your portable DVD player has the same ports as the AV cable, it cannot be done.
13 replies

Apr 20, 2010 2:59 PM in response to deggie

Just to verify your answer - *you know there are no cables available on the market today that will enable the playing of movies from my iPhone to a portable DVD player at all?* I can't tell from this and the previous very brief answer that you have acknowledged the true question here. I have already ruled out Apple's composite AV cable as a solution. Yes, it does not work. I'm asking if anyone knows ANY OTHER WAY to view a movie from an iPhone to a portable DVD player. If you are saying that there is currently no hardware available at this time, then I accept your answer.

Apr 20, 2010 4:45 PM in response to kidsndogs_nosanity

Most portable DVD players do not have inputs, only outputs. The 3.5 mm jack should be an output for use with headphones, so it won't work as an input unless your manufacturer specifies it as an input as well (check your DVD players' manual or online documentation). There is a chance that even with an Composite A/V to 3.5mm converter cable may not work with the iPhone, as it is only designed to work with the Apple cable and only by means of the dock connector.

Apr 20, 2010 5:06 PM in response to kidsndogs_nosanity

Eureka!! vgking96's link reminded me of something I saw while I was searching.
I used the AV cable that came with my DVD player http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=82-105-456-Z08&SpinSet= 82-105-456-RS&ISList=82-105-456-Z01%2c82-105-456-Z02%2c82-105-456-Z03%2c82-105-4 56-Z04%2c82-105-456-Z05%2c82-105-456-Z06%2c82-105-456-Z07%2c82-105-456-Z08&S7Ima geFlag=1&Item=N82E16882105456&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=SONY%20DVP-FX950%20 9%22%20Portable%20DVD%20Player
and used this inexpensive 3-way coupler http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102694&cp=&sr=1&origkw=tr iplecoupler&kw=triplecoupler&parentPage=search
and connected my Apple Composite AV Cable to my phone and the coupler. Voila! It works!!
I solved my own problem with vgking96's help. It was very simple and inexpensive I hope all the other posters have learned from this.

Playing iPhone movies on a Portable DVD Player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.