Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to identify a process "consumer touch driver" ?

My CPU was running at 96% -Opened activity monitor and saw the culprit was a process called "consumer touch driver". Quit it and solved the issue; but Im trying to identify what that was. I had been on a newspage with lots of flash ads, and had installed Kindle the other day. Related to that perhaps? Something more nefarious? Anybody ever seen that?

Aluminum iMac 20 inch, Mac OS X (10.5.3), 4 gigs RAM 2.66 Ghz

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 2:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 7:00 AM

raspberryaddiction wrote:
My CPU was running at 96% -Opened activity monitor and saw the culprit was a process called "consumer touch driver". Quit it and solved the issue; but Im trying to identify what that was.

I don't know anything about that process, but if you see it again, in Activity Monitor select that process, click the "Inspect" icon, then select the "Open Files and Ports". The file behind that process may be the first one on the list.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2010 7:00 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

raspberryaddiction wrote:
My CPU was running at 96% -Opened activity monitor and saw the culprit was a process called "consumer touch driver". Quit it and solved the issue; but Im trying to identify what that was.

I don't know anything about that process, but if you see it again, in Activity Monitor select that process, click the "Inspect" icon, then select the "Open Files and Ports". The file behind that process may be the first one on the list.

May 8, 2010 11:22 PM in response to raspberryaddiction

Saw this question, and it seems to be part of the Pen Tablet Driver (you must have something like a Wacom). I did the info button on mine and got:
/
/Library/Application Support/Tablet/PenTabletDriver.app/Contents/Resources/ConsumerTouchDriver.app/C ontents/MacOS/ConsumerTouchDriver
/usr/share/icu/icudt40l.dat
/private/var/folders/fO/fOgzv6HI2RW bE+87xdS3+++TQ/-Caches-/com.apple.LaunchServices-025503.csstore
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld shared_cache_x8664
/dev/null
->0x0c731258
->0x0c731258
/private/etc/security/audit_control
count=1, state=0x2
/private/etc/security/audit_class

Aug 5, 2010 11:34 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

Same problem here. I have a Bamboo Pen/touch, but strangely it wasn't connected for over a week. I don't know when exactly today it started, but I constated it just today because of my computer waking up automaticly and it seemed to me that it was running normal yesterday.

Where did it come from??? Who knows???

Because I can't figure out right now if it is possible to post attachments, I'll notice in the Inspect window in Activity Monitor it's all about Ports 85 and CPU time was 4:58:03,01. What this means, I don't know yet. I hope to find out here. Is this port dangerous?

Aug 6, 2010 6:02 PM in response to dirkhou2

dirkhou2 wrote:
Because I can't figure out right now if it is possible to post attachments

You can't. You'll have to find some other place to host your attachment and put a link to it in your message.

in Activity Monitor it's all about Ports 85 and CPU time was 4:58:03,01.

That's the accumulated CPU time, almost 5 hours, so it's been rather busy.

Is this port dangerous?

Under which tab do you see "port 85"? A Web search found a description of that port as "MIT ML Device", whatever that means.

Trying to identify a process "consumer touch driver" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.