Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question regarding Apple Mail and my internet connection dying...

Hey guys i have a very weird problem here. At work we have Bell Optimax 8mb/s down 1mb/s up.
My boss has apple mail and i have configured it with 12 email accounts all connected via GMAIL IMAP (Google apps professional). Now when the mail app is open, the internet crawls to a stand still, we are talking about 1000ms pings, 0.5mb/s download speeds in speed test. When i close the mail app all of a sudden everything is perfect.

This is a very weird issue and i have never seen this before... Can 12 mail accounts bring down a whole connection on its own? Nobody else is actually on the network when i do this...

And also the usage on these email accounts is about 20-30 emails in a day...

Does anyone have an idea what this program is doing?

Also when i check activity stats on apple mail for the 1 account it hasnt recieved anything since april 15 and under usage it is saying its

Traversing mail box hierarchy
Adding messeges
Checking status of mail box

These things just keep running all day every day. That specific account has just a spinning icon on it constantlly.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks a lot,

Dani

MacBook Pro (15-inch ,2.4GHz, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2,8600M GT 256MB, 200GB 7200 RPM, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 7:29 AM

2 replies

Apr 22, 2010 11:04 AM in response to dani190

Since they're imap accounts, every time they're opened they have to refresh the mail index and update any imap folders. 12 mail accounts can certainly cause the problem depending on how they're set up and what's saved on the server. If you have no extra imap folders, no saved messages, and only receive 20-30 emails per day, then something is wrong.

Question regarding Apple Mail and my internet connection dying...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.