Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to block Counter Strike using Airport Extreme

The kids don´t seem to understand they are supposed to "play" for a limited period of time. So I would like to use AExtreme to block the Counter Strike ports. I have the UDP and TCP ports, I simply don´t know where or how to configure it. Urgent help really appreciated!

macbook air, mac mini, 20th anniversary, pb2300,....., Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 1:03 PM

8 replies

Apr 22, 2010 1:14 PM in response to mdenari

By default, the AirPort Extreme blocks all incoming traffic, but cannot block outbound ports directly. One workaround to "discourage" access to particular Internet games is to enable Port Mapping to map the game's required ports to a non-existent device on your local network.

As an example, let's say you need to block ports 2000 thru 2005. In addition, the IP address range of the computers on your network are: 10.0.1.2 thru 10.0.1.100. You can then configure Port Mapping to map these ports to a device with an IP address of 10.0.1.200. Since this device does not actually exist, Internet traffic coming into your network will be "lost" and the game should be unplayable.

Apr 22, 2010 1:21 PM in response to mdenari

The "Service" option is only to provide you with a set of pre-defined port settings for the most common types of Internet traffic. You can safely ignore this particular setting and just enter the appropriate UDP & TCP port values for both the Public and Private entries. Also be sure to assign a "non-existent" Private IP Address value. Remember you want all inbound traffic to be sent (mapped) to a device that doesn't actually exist.

How to block Counter Strike using Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.