Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DELETED FILES DO NOT GO TO TRASH

Every time I delete a file, it does not go to trash, it simply disapear so trash bin is useless. How can I fix this problem? I want my deleted files to be shown in my recycle bin.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 4:14 PM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2010 5:05 AM in response to chezmoig

If the files you're deleting are on a hard drive connected to your Mac, and you're getting a message saying something about the files being deleted immediately, you have a problem with your trash folder. The quickest fix is to open the Terminal and paste the following line:

rm -rf ~/.Trash

Press return to execute the command, then log out and log back in to re-create your trash folder.

May 5, 2010 9:32 AM in response to ROGER BURTON

In that case, if the account in question is an admin account, you would just tack "sudo" on at the beginning:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

If the affected account is not an admin account, you need to log in to an admin account and do this:

sudo rm -rf /Users/theusername/.Trash

...where "theusername" should be the name of the user folder with the broken trash.

DELETED FILES DO NOT GO TO TRASH

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.