Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Brightness Buttons Not Working

I have a macbookpro. I noticed recently that the keyboard brightness buttons (up and down) were not working. When I push either one of them the brightness image comes up with a small circle with a line through it (as in like no smoking)? I can change the brightness setting in System Preferences / Display. Any ideas why this situation would occur and how to change it so that I can use the keyboard controls? It is inconvenient not to be able to adjust the brightness from the keyboard. Thank you in advance for your assistance. MACarmel.

Macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Apr 22, 2010 5:51 PM

3 replies

Apr 22, 2010 6:09 PM in response to MACarmel

Use your left thumb to cover the iSight camera lens in the top of your display bezel. This will also cover the ambient light sensor that is 5mm to the left of the camera. With the sensor covered, can you adjust the brightness of your keyboard using the F5 and F6 keys? If so, the problem is simply that the ambient light level in your room is higher than the threshold at which the keyboard backlighting is turned off automatically. Your MBP thinks you don't need the backlighting on.

You can override the automatic backlighting control by using Lab Tick.

Keyboard Brightness Buttons Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.