Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major problem with Safari..... and the spinning ball...

My Macbook Air works fine so long as I do not start Safari - the moment I do I get the spinning ball (in a multitude of programs, but mostly in Safari) and this condition does not go away until I reboot the machine (even if I close Safari down). On occasion I have had to reset the SMC to get the machine oeprating properly again. I have had this now for a couple of months (basically since upgrading to Snow Leopard) and I am certain it is Safari related. I have cleared caches, reset Safari, deleted Safari and then re-downloaded and installed; all to no avail. I am simply now living without Safari and having no problems - but this should not be necessary especially on a Mac machine!! BTW Firefox works flawlessly.

MacBook Air first edition, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 6:50 AM

2 replies

Apr 26, 2010 11:45 AM in response to Bryan4134

HI,

My Macbook Air works fine so long as I do not start Safari - the moment I do I get the spinning ball (in a multitude of programs, but mostly in Safari)

So this isn't isolated to just Safari? How much free disk space on the MBAir?

Right or control click the MacintoshHD icon. Click Get Info. In the Get Info window you will see Capacity and Available. *Make sure you always have a minimum of 10% to 15% free disk space at all times.*

Also, open Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select your MBA on the left then click Verify. The start up disk may need repairing.

Carolyn 🙂

Apr 27, 2010 2:47 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn - thanks for this I have checked disk space and run disk utility. You are correct in saying that once the problem starts it affects all operations not just Safari. But, and it is a big but, it does not happen if I do not launch Safari - I can run my computer to the full using multiple programs and Firefox as my browser and I have no problems - if fact it will be run in this configuration for days with no issues - but the moment I launch Safari the problem begins and will not go away until I reboot the machine.

Bryan

Major problem with Safari..... and the spinning ball...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.