Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combining Tables in Numbers '09

I'm looking to make a formula that multiplies column U of Table 1 with a value from Table 2 at column C whose row is determined by using column P of my row in Table 1 and finding the row in Table 2 that contains that value in column A.

So basically, I have a Table 1 with sales data (actually; iTunes reports). They contain a number (Table1::Column U) that represents how much a customer payed in their currency (Table1::Column P). I have another table that maps currencies (Table2::Column A) to a value that is EUR/[That currency] (Table2::Column C). So all I want to do now is add a column to Table 1 that calculates the EUR value for the customer's cost.

Any assistance is appreciated; any detailed explanation so that I may learn, even more so.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 12:50 PM

lhunath wrote:
I'm looking to make a formula that multiplies column U of Table 1 with a value from Table 2 at column C whose row is determined by using column P of my row in Table 1 and finding the row in Table 2 that contains that value in column A.

So basically, I have a Table 1 with sales data (actually; iTunes reports). They contain a number (Table1::Column U) that represents how much a customer payed in their currency (Table1::Column P). I have another table that maps currencies (Table2::Column A) to a value that is EUR/[That currency] (Table2::Column C). So all I want to do now is add a column to Table 1 that calculates the EUR value for the customer's cost.

If I understand your description correctly, A LOOKUP table and the VLOOKUP function should provide a solution.
User uploaded file

In Table 1 (on the left), I've used column B for the amount paid, C for the currency in which payment was made, and D to calculate and display the equivalent amount in Euros.

The LOOKUP Table is on Table 2. Currencies are listed in column B and the amount of that currency equivalent to one Euro in column C.

You can find an explanation of VLOOKUP in the iWork Formulas and Functions User Guide, which you can download through the Help menu in Numbers.

Regards,
Barry
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2011 12:50 PM in response to lhunath

lhunath wrote:

If I understand your description correctly, A LOOKUP table and the VLOOKUP function should provide a solution.
User uploaded file

In Table 1 (on the left), I've used column B for the amount paid, C for the currency in which payment was made, and D to calculate and display the equivalent amount in Euros.

The LOOKUP Table is on Table 2. Currencies are listed in column B and the amount of that currency equivalent to one Euro in column C.

You can find an explanation of VLOOKUP in the iWork Formulas and Functions User Guide, which you can download through the Help menu in Numbers.

Regards,
Barry

Jan 5, 2011 12:50 PM in response to lhunath

Do you know that resources delivered by Apple contain valuable informations ?
Every user may download, for FREE, *_Numbers User Guide_* and *_iWork Formulas and Functions User Guide_*

In this one we may learn which functions are available.

One of them is VLOOKUP.

User uploaded file

In standard cells of column W, I inserted the simple formula :
=IFERROR(U*VLOOKUP(P,Table 2 :: $A:$C,3,FALSE),"")

details in *_iWork Formulas and Functions User Guide_*

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) mardi 27 avril 2010 10:33:34

Combining Tables in Numbers '09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.