Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP: move all automation - how?

Hi

Need a little help.

I've had to rework a track, including a load of structural changes. Somehow my automation preferences had changed, and no automation data has been moved with regions. As a result pretty much all my automation data (lots of it) is now 8 bars too early.

Please can somebody tell me how I can select ALL automation data for the whole song and move it all 8 bars later.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Jules

Mac Pro 8 Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 7:51 AM

Several methods, but this one should do it:
Select your track, hit ctrl-cmd-E to open the *Automation Event List;* in it, select all (cmd-A) , then clickhold on the first position number (=bar number) of any event and drag up until the events are all futurized by 8 bars.
O, and in *Logic Pro>Preferences>Automation,* you can set the *Move Automation with Regions* setting to Ask or Always.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2010 7:51 AM in response to Trailerman

Several methods, but this one should do it:
Select your track, hit ctrl-cmd-E to open the *Automation Event List;* in it, select all (cmd-A) , then clickhold on the first position number (=bar number) of any event and drag up until the events are all futurized by 8 bars.
O, and in *Logic Pro>Preferences>Automation,* you can set the *Move Automation with Regions* setting to Ask or Always.

Apr 28, 2010 8:58 AM in response to Eriksimon

Hi Erik - that's extremely helpful, many thanks.

My slight problem is that I have 136 tracks in this song. Presumably the way you suggest, which I had read about elsewhere, would require me to go through doing this 136 times - once for each track. I had hoped there would be a function to shift or 'nudge' all automation, as there is in ProTools, but after as much research as I have time for, it looks like there isn't.

It turned out the only safe way to get the automation back to where it was, was to manually undo my edits with automatic automation-region linking disabled, and then to redo them with it turned on. Not ideal, but looks like it's the only way.

Thanks again for your help.

Jules

Apr 28, 2010 3:45 PM in response to Trailerman

Another thing you could do is open the automation event list like above, but then launch a new arrange window.
Your automation now shows up as regions in the arrange window which you can select all and drag.
I think you have to select 'do not move' when it asks you if you want to move the automation at this point, if you are moving the data to a later point in the song, or it moves it too far.
If you are moving the data to an earlier point in the song, you will have to cut the regions, and then move them. Cutting with the scissors seems to delete all the automation, but using a split at playhead type of operation works (?).
Sometimes this automation arrange window reverts to a regular arrange window, in which case you have to close the event list and reopen.

Jun 19, 2010 11:38 AM in response to Trailerman

Hi, actually I ran into the same problem and with the ctrl-cmd-e command it's indeed easy to do these automation move data. A little trick if you have a lot of tracks, just click on the little up arrow that brings you to the highest level where you see all starting points with automation data. From there you can select all your tracks and move the automation data as desired.

HELP: move all automation - how?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.