Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transpose all data from columns to rows

After entering all my data in a spreadsheet that has 22 columns x 12 rows (which includes a header column and header row), I now realize that it would be better presented with 12 columns x 22 rows. Is there any easy way to simply transpose the entire spreadsheet?

Thanks

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 8:58 AM

6 replies

Apr 29, 2010 10:23 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Thank you for the kind and quick reply, however, as best as I can tell, the solution you reference only transposes a single column or row, not an entire 22x12 (as in my case) spreadsheet to a 12x22 spreadsheet. If I do not have a correct understanding, please let me know. In fact, it is from that very reply that I figured the correct term to use for my question was "transpose".

Apr 29, 2010 10:32 AM in response to jjdDFP

jjdDFP wrote:
Thank you for the kind and quick reply, however, as best as I can tell, the solution you reference only transposes a single column or row, not an entire 22x12 (as in my case) spreadsheet to a 12x22 spreadsheet. If I do not have a correct understanding, please let me know. In fact, it is from that very reply that I figured the correct term to use for my question was "transpose".

You didn't read carefully.

I gave the reference to an archive available on my iDisk.
This one contain two scripts.
One transpose the 'dead' values of a multicolumns table.
The other one transpose 'living' values of a multicolumns table.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 29 avril 2010 19:32:07

Apr 29, 2010 11:33 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

Thanks again. I ran the living values script and it was successful in moving the column headers over to be row headers. Unfortunately, no other data transposed - but the formula, i.e. {=IF(ISBLANK(OFFSET('Sheet 1' :: 'Table 1' :: A1,1,0)),"",OFFSET('Sheet 1' :: 'Table 1' :: A1,1,0))}, copied into each cell. The script result indicated "missing data". So I think it is close to doing what I want.

I tried the script for dead values and the only result was to indicate that I had a 22Cx12R range.

I am a neophyte using scripts, perhaps it is operator (my) error or maybe it is that all my data is text rather than numbers.

Thanks for your continued support in assisting me.

Apr 29, 2010 11:34 AM in response to jjdDFP

The Numbers formula method would be as follows...

Assuming that the source table is "Table 1", and also assuming that the source table has no Header/Footer Rows/Columns, the following simple expression will do the transposition:

=IFERROR(INDEX(TRANSPOSE(Table 1), ROW(), COLUMN()), "")

Copy that expression and paste into the entire destination table. You will get whatever was being displayed in Table 1, transposed into the destination.

If you had formulas in Table 1, then you will need to convert the Table 1 cell formats to Text first so that the formulas will be brought over to the new table, but the relative addressing will not be adjusted as it would be in a conventional Move or Paste operation.

Then, as Yvan's script surely does, you will want to Copy/Paste Values to eliminate the transposition expressions from the destination table, leaving only the converted data.

The reason that the source table must not have headers or footers is that "TRANSPOSE(Table 1)" will only reference the body cells, not the Headers and Footers, throwing off the numbering among other things.

Jerry

Apr 29, 2010 12:01 PM in response to jjdDFP

If you are unable to read carefully and apply carefully the given instructions, I can't help you.

User uploaded file

The script is designed to build a set of formulas buiding a transposed table.

step 1 - select the area to transpose, run the script.
step 2 - select the top_left cell of the transposed table, run the sript a second time.

The transposed area must be different (don't intersect) the source one..
And of course, we must keep both tables as the transposed one is grabbing the contents of the original table.

On the screenshot you may see, starting from the top :
the original range of cells
the living transposed range
the dead transposed range.

I just appied exactly what is explained in the instructions.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 29 avril 2010 21:01:48

transpose all data from columns to rows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.