Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connection issues to 2Wire router.

I have an IMAC 4,1 with MAC OS X 10.4.11. I am unable to connect to the 2Wire wireless router with the current version of the OS software. There was no issue when with the 10.4.4 version. I have tried going into configurations for the network and the airport wireless card. nothing works. I have also gone into the router and manually inputed the computer address.. still nothing. Help!!

I am also wondering if this is an issue with MAC OS X 10.4.11 Tiger and if I upgrade to OS 10.5 will the issue be resolved???

IMAC 4,1, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 10:08 AM

7 replies

Apr 30, 2010 7:18 AM in response to Kappy

I did an erase and fresh install. With the original install OS 10.4.4 the connection is fine. As soon as I update to 10.4.11 It will not connect. The error message says. "Error connecting to the network."

I looked in the airport config it sees the network, but does not allow the connection.

Apr 30, 2010 9:31 AM in response to Paulhi

It's been a long while since Tiger, so I don't recall if this was a problem that arose with that particular update.

Aside from downgrading the only thing I can suggest would be moving up to Leopard or Snow Leopard (SL requires Intel hardware.) I have no specific knowledge of your router. So my help is limited. You could try using a different router.

Jun 12, 2010 11:16 AM in response to Kappy

The answer is: Replace the 2Wire Modem/Router.

I have been on AT&T DSL for many years.

Different Operating Systems and Games send Packet Data differently.

In the early days with wired modems, AT&T provided the SpeedStream and it had this Packet Data syncing problem. (I did test a replacement Speedstream, and it had the same issue.) I asked AT&T to replace it with the new Motorola 2210 and the problem was solved.

Now we move onto Modem/Router combos. I was offered an upgrade to the 2Wire 2701HB-G, which I accepted. This modem/router does not seem to suffer from the packet data problem when wired, but when used wirelessly, it has the same sync issue. (I did test a replacement 2Wire, and it had the same issue.) Then, I asked for the unit to be replaced with their other modem/router the Motorola/Netopia 3347 and haven't had a problem.

A common game that causes a sync issue on both Mac & PCs is World of Warcraft. Certain areas cause the same problem from Packet Data. It is not Blizzard's (game company) fault that certain equipment can't handle the data.

In this situation, we have an operating system with same issue. It is certainly not Apple's fault that certain equipment can't handle the data.

Simply stated, even when the 2Wire is replaced with a new unit, doesn't mean it works well.
People assume a wireless router should work as claimed, but this is not always the case.
People also assume MS Windows should work correctly, and we know the result from that thinking. LOL

Therefore, either call AT&T and replace the 2Wire with the Motorola/Netopia or purchase a separate wireless router of better quality. (To note: AT&T may inform you that the Motorola/Netopia is a "business class" modem, but most routers of quality are of that class. AT&T uses a "business class" modem for all installations of their U-Verse product for consumers.)

For technical reference, the Motorola/Netopia 3347 is wired to my Panasonic Plasma & DirecTV DVR. Then my iMac and iPhone use using the network wireless. I use WPA2 security.
No special network adjustments are needed (constant pings, network locations, etc.)

If this does not solve someone's problem (which would surprise me), please reply.

connection issues to 2Wire router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.