Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use my iMac as a 'display' for my MacBook Pro?

Hi all, I am really hoping someone can help me here.

I am wondering if I can use my 24" iMac as a display for my MacBook Pro (both running Snow Leopard).

It's my father's 80th birthday party in about 24 hours time. I am doing up the music and slideshow (thanks Apple - so easy!).

My plan was to simply take my iMac and use it. However, I managed to drop the wireless keyboard (darn those dogs) and now my keyboard won't work. I have no backup keyboards here (gave the wired one to Dad to use with his Mac mini). I live in a country area with no access to a Mac store and it will take more than 24 hours to get a new one. Went to my local 'other computer' general store last night: I really don't want to buy an ugly black keyboard..... I have just had a great idea:

Can I network my MacBook Pro and use it as the source for the slide show and simply use the iMac as a display? I have plenty of DVI adaptors but am just not sure how I would go about the software side of things? Or should I simply buy an ugly PC keyboard (and if I do, will the WIndows button work as an Apple button???)

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

MacBook Pro, iPhone G3, iMac, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, 16Gb iPod, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2010 3:12 PM

The imac 24 can't be used as a monitor over a DVI connection or the like, Suzanne, but you may be able to achieve what you want to using "Screen Sharing" by networking the two computers. This lets your MBP effectively control what is running on the iMac.

See HERE for the basic setup. For information about how to access the "shareable" screen from the MBP see HERE.

One possible problem may be actually getting this set-up on the iMac if it is not already enabled, however, unless you can borrow a keyboard from someone (your password may have to be entered to enable it). You may be able to get around this, if necessary, using the "keyboard viewer" (which you can place in the menubar using System preferences > Keyboard, if you don't already have it there).

Cheers

Rod
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2010 3:12 PM in response to Suzanne Butz

The imac 24 can't be used as a monitor over a DVI connection or the like, Suzanne, but you may be able to achieve what you want to using "Screen Sharing" by networking the two computers. This lets your MBP effectively control what is running on the iMac.

See HERE for the basic setup. For information about how to access the "shareable" screen from the MBP see HERE.

One possible problem may be actually getting this set-up on the iMac if it is not already enabled, however, unless you can borrow a keyboard from someone (your password may have to be entered to enable it). You may be able to get around this, if necessary, using the "keyboard viewer" (which you can place in the menubar using System preferences > Keyboard, if you don't already have it there).

Cheers

Rod

Can I use my iMac as a 'display' for my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.