8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 11, 2010 10:20 AM by kteru808
liquidmice Level 3 Level 3 (750 points)
I posted a couple of technical questions last week concerning iPhoto and how it handles files, thumbnails, EXIF data, and photo originals/copies (as http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11425805). Terence Devlin and LarryHN gave me the answers I needed. From their answers, I now have an understanding of the default method iPhoto utilizes to manage and maintain photo libraries.

Those answers have led me to a couple more questions, mostly regarding how I can best organize and maintain my photos via iPhoto within a multiple Operating System household. My massive music collection is easy... I manually maintain and organize my music files via iTunes. I can download music and fix tags in XP or OSX. I store the results on my Windows-based file server and share the iTunes library. On my MacBookPro, I have an iTunes Library that references the directories on the server. Or, I can just access the "shared" iTunes library. Same with my Ubuntu machine (with some anomalies.) Both Windows and OSX have versions of iTunes. Not so with iPhoto.

So, by default, importing my photos into iPhoto will make "copies" as well as a proprietary database containing the EXIF changes I make within iPhoto. I don't see that as the best scenario for me.

What would YOU suggest? How about storing my photos on my file server and pointing iPhoto to the location in "Referenced Mode?" This seems to be similar to how I manage my music. Yes, I know that if I change a filename or path that the library will loose track of it. I deal with this in iTunes. Occasionally, If I make a bunch of changes, I just delete my iTunes library and re-load. But that's the beauty of iTunes... if I change MP3 tag data using iTunes, the changes are made within the MP3 file itself. So if I loose the library, who cares?

I was hoping to use iPhoto in a similar way: Make changes (places, faces, etc) and have iPhoto save the data within the EXIF fields of the photo itself. That way if I move the photo around, or restore from a backup, ot loose the iPhoto library, so be it!

Unlike iTunes, it sounds like if I loose my iPhoto library, I loose all my metadata as well (unless I "export" the photo from within iPhoto?) PLUS I need to maintain the original photos and the iPhoto copies... unless I use Referenced Mode.

How about some organizational ideas/inspiration/guidance? Help me tidy up my sloppy photo collection.

.peace

~( ):>

MacBook Pro 17" Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3., Mac OS X (10.6.3), 2 MacPro Quads (work systems) running Windows Server 2003; 160, 80, 16 GB ipods
  • 1. Re: Some Ideas On Organizing/Maintaining Photos via iPhoto? How do YOU do i
    LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (56,715 points)
    Key points

1 - iPhoto has NO cross platform capabilities

2 - iPhoto is not well oriented to managing referenced libraries

I was hoping to use iPhoto in a similar way: Make changes (places, faces, etc) and have iPhoto save the data within the EXIF fields of the photo itself. That way if I move the photo around, or restore from a backup, ot loose the iPhoto library, so be it!

That is not the way iPhoto works

Unlike iTunes, it sounds like if I loose my iPhoto library, I loose all my metadata as well (unless I "export" the photo from within iPhoto?) PLUS I need to maintain the original photos and the iPhoto copies... unless I use Referenced Mode.

You have to maintain both in either a referenced or managed library - but in an referenced library the originals are your responsibility to maintain and to keep the path constant

How about some organizational ideas/inspiration/guidance? Help me tidy up my sloppy photo collection.

Probably iPhoto is not the correct solution for your needs

LN
  • 2. Re: Some Ideas On Organizing/Maintaining Photos via iPhoto? How do YOU do it?
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,875 points)
    Use another app, one that has cross platform capabilities, one that works like iTunes - and writes the metadata directly to the file.

Two comments I've made before: iPhoto is a really good app for a person with a point and shoot camera. It's clean, easy to use, reliable and effective. It's target user is this person on his or her Mac.

Your set up is complex, you need an app designed for that complexity.

My other comment: averaged out of the cost of iLife, iPhoto is a $16 app. For that you get a lot, but you don't get everything.

Some apps to explore: Both Adobe's Bridge and Graphic Coverter wlll edit the Exif directly on the file afaik. They're not databased driven and are geared for someone who prefers to have their own filing system in the Finder. Both run on Macs and not on other systems.

Regards

TD
  • 3. Re: Some Ideas On Organizing/Maintaining Photos via iPhoto? How do YOU do i
    liquidmice Level 3 Level 3 (750 points)
    Terrance and LarryHN, I see your point(s). I appreciate your candor and suggestions.

I guess ideally I'd be running Adobe CS, taking photos daily, and maintaining my photos on a regular basis. I'd also have scanned in all my 35mm negatives like I said I would 5 years ago. That said, I work on computers all day so when I get home I just don't dig in like I used to.

I think I'm still going to mess around with iPhoto a little. I really like some of the features. And Macs don't have a version of Irfanview so...

Thanks again guys.

.peace

~( ):>
  • 4. Re: Some Ideas On Organizing/Maintaining Photos via iPhoto? How do YOU do i
    tilman Level 4 Level 4 (1,235 points)
    I open sourced an utility to export your iPhoto images with embedded meta data at http://code.google.com/p/iphotoexport/. I use it for a setup that is very similar to yours: manage my images in iPhoto, then run the utility to apply all changes to a folder tree that I can use to work with Picasa or Adobe Bridge. It's currently a script you run from a command prompt, but I'm about to upgrade it to a full blown app.
  • 5. Re: Some Ideas On Organizing/Maintaining Photos via iPhoto? How do YOU do it?
    backwards1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for asking the question liquidmice. This is the same situation I am in. I just sold a powerful Windows7 desktop to pick up a Mac Mini. I liked the iphoto software and thought my wife & I might use the iphoto to organize our photos. THe problem is I run 3 Media PC's with Media Center as the frontend and I need some basic folder organization so when my Media PC's pull up my collection of photos on my WHS I can actually make sense of what is what.

What did you find would work best for you? I have thought about importing twice but that really doesn't help me. If I manage and organize my photos that only helps me on the Mac. The MediaPC's don't benefit from that work.

Then I could just import as usual and use basic folder methods on the WHS and then drag the latest import folder directly into the iphoto. But from time to time I change the folders and that would break the information in iPhoto. Almost wishing I didn't even bother with Macs. It is their way or no way it seems. What is their clever method to allow network storage solutions to work with their systems? Seems like everything must be done through their software and stored locally.
  • 6. Re: Some Ideas On Organizing/Maintaining Photos via iPhoto? How do YOU do it?
    backwards1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hey Liquidmice, how did that command line script work for you?

Tilman, have you created the full blown app yet?

So I have still not figured out my course of action. Again I use a Windows Home Server and have organized my photo's using folders and they are not that neatly organized imo. So I need a way to still access them through folder structure so I can use my 3 Media PC's to access and find photo's AND use Iphoto on my wifes MAC. Or if Media Center had a file organization program that used the meta data in it would be nice.

So I am thinking I either import my collection twice, once into the Windows side and then a second time into the Mac but this completely takes away from the point of the server.

Or maybe use this utility. What does the Automator iphoto import feature do? Could that work better?

How did you solution turn out for you liquidmice?

Message was edited by: backwards1
  • 7. Re: Some Ideas On Organizing/Maintaining Photos via iPhoto? How do YOU do it?
    Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (123,875 points)
    So I need a way to still access them through folder structure so I can use my 3 Media PC's to access and find photo's AND use Iphoto on my wifes MAC.

Your problem is caused because you want to use two totally different systems of organising: The File Browser on the Media PCs and the database in the mac. The solution is to use the same system on all the machines and then you have no real issue. As iPhoto is not available for Windows and it has no cross platform ability at all, that leaves you with the very simply option of using the File Browser to organise on the mac too.

There are no downsides to this and there are lots and lots of photo viewers you can use with such a system: Search on MacUpdate

Regards

TD
  • 8. Re: Some Ideas On Organizing/Maintaining Photos via iPhoto? How do YOU do it?
    kteru808 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Have you looked at Jetphoto. I am also trying to move my photo library after my PC crashed. I have it stored on Carbonite and am looking for an optimal way to store it. I came across Jetphoto and saw that it is available for PC and Mac.