Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexplained Internet Usage

Hi,

I have recently noticed some unexplained internet usage in the Gigs from my appleTV. During one week that i was sick with bronchitis, i did not use the internet at all, but the previous week i rented few movies with the appleTV. The week i wasnt using the internet, i noticed 3Gb for 4 days of internet usage.

Upon further follow-ups with my ISP (videotron), they told me roughly the hours of internet usage, and it was during the wee hours of the morning.

I set up a hub and a machine to run dumpcap, and I saw that the appleTV would be contacting akamai technologies and the protocol looked to be something related to media.

This Wednesday, i rented another movie at 8:30pm, I checked my internet usage the next day and it showed 3.8Gb for Wed, and another 3.7Gb on Thursday morning at 00:04 am.

Anyone know why appleTV would contact and continue downloading after renting a movie double the bandwidth of a movie ? I understand that while watching the movie, it is streaming it, but when you are done watching it, it should have finished downloading it to the appleTV.

Now, I have completly disable my internet usage for the appleTV until i got to the bottom of this. I blew my internet usage last month and I estimate that the appleTV donwloaded close to 15Gb of stuff.

THanks.

Looking at the appleTV disk usage, there is a 7.8Gb of stuff.

Black MacBook 1.25Gb 2Ghz, iMac 27" i7, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2010 3:44 AM

10 replies

Apr 30, 2010 5:36 AM in response to Jorel

Akamai is used by Apple to distribute itunes content closer to the physical destination than Apples own servers could do, so I wouldn't have any worries about the presence of Akamai, however it does appear you may be downloading the content twice which is not good if you have a limit to how much you can download.

Just to be sure, these are rentals and not purchases and that you are able to confirm that when you rented them the files downloaded fully.

Apr 30, 2010 7:35 AM in response to Jorel

I have also noticed my ATV running data for no apparent reason on occasion, particularly after I play Internet radio for a while. It sometimes appears to continue to run the radio stream after I've stopped it even though it's not actually playing the audio. I've had to unplug it a few times to stop it from bogging down the network when it should have been idle.

Apr 30, 2010 7:41 AM in response to Winston Churchill

yes, this is for movies that I rented ! also this morning, after I checked my Internet usage, i checked the appleTV, and saw an error for Sherlock, a movie that I rented many weeks ago !

The reason for the error, is that during the night I am blocking the Internet access on my router ... why would the silly appleTV redownload a movie I rented weeks ago ?

I wanted to email Apple those issues, but couldnt figure out an email address!

Apr 30, 2010 7:43 AM in response to capaho

I havent used it for Internet radio, but thanks for the heads up ! it seems something on the appleTV hangs or continues to stream data even if the user put it to standby ...

In my case, i have a combine internet usage of 30Gb and last many months I came very close to it and this months i went over it because of the apple TV weird behavior.

Unexplained Internet Usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.