Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't copy TM usb backup to Time Capsule - "wrong case sensitivity"

I tried Pondini's tip from here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1964018#18

"18. How can I copy my TM backups to a different location?"

"To copy LOCAL BACKUPS to be used on a NETWORK:
SNOW LEOPARD: First, configure Time Machine to back up to the network location, and start a backup. As soon as the sparse bundle is created, cancel the backup. Then, if possible, connect the new drive directly to your Mac. Use the Finder to mount the new sparse bundle, and delete the Backups.backupdb folder inside it. Then drag the Backups.backupdb folder from the old volume to the new sparse bundle."

My problem comes when I get to this point. I get an error message...

"the volume has the wrong case sensitivity for a backup".

..and it won't let me drag the Backups.backupdb folder.

The source is a Western Digital usb MyBook originally set up under Leopard but now being used under Snow Leopard. The target is a new Time Capsule.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

iMac (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.3), Also have New MacBook Pro, i5, 15 inch

Posted on May 1, 2010 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2010 1:30 PM

Bob Mayo wrote:
. . .

The source is a Western Digital usb MyBook originally set up under Leopard but now being used under Snow Leopard. The target is a new Time Capsule.

Well, drat! That used to work. Double-check that the WD is formatted +Mac OS Extended (Journaled),+ not case-sensitive.

In that case, you're apparently going to have to add a couple of steps:

1. Double-click the new sparse bundle to mount it.

2. Select the disk image (named +Time Machine Backups)+ via the Finder and do a +Get Info+ on it. Click the padlock at the lower right, enter your Admin password when prompted, then un-check the +Ignore ownership on this volume+ box.

3. Start the +Disk Utility+ app (in your Applications/Utilities folder). The +Time Machine Backups+ disk image should be shown in it's sidebar, indented under the sparse bundle. Select it, then click the Erase tab, select +Mac OS Extended (Journaled),+ and click Erase. That may take a while.

4. Then drag the old Backups.backupdb folder to the sparse bundle.

Keep us posted, as it looks like I'm going to have to revise #18 again.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2010 1:30 PM in response to Bob Mayo

Bob Mayo wrote:
. . .

Well, drat! That used to work. Double-check that the WD is formatted +Mac OS Extended (Journaled),+ not case-sensitive.

In that case, you're apparently going to have to add a couple of steps:

1. Double-click the new sparse bundle to mount it.

2. Select the disk image (named +Time Machine Backups)+ via the Finder and do a +Get Info+ on it. Click the padlock at the lower right, enter your Admin password when prompted, then un-check the +Ignore ownership on this volume+ box.

3. Start the +Disk Utility+ app (in your Applications/Utilities folder). The +Time Machine Backups+ disk image should be shown in it's sidebar, indented under the sparse bundle. Select it, then click the Erase tab, select +Mac OS Extended (Journaled),+ and click Erase. That may take a while.

4. Then drag the old Backups.backupdb folder to the sparse bundle.

Keep us posted, as it looks like I'm going to have to revise #18 again.

May 9, 2010 5:03 AM in response to Pondini

I've been sidetracked by a new problem. In preparing to try your advice, I did a precautionary run of Disk Utility on the source drive. Here's what happened.

Apple's Disk Utility is reporting over 900 and counting of this error:

"Incorrect owner flags for directory hard link (id = xxxxxxxx)
2010-05-09 02:06:51 -0400: (It should be 0x2 instead of 0x0)
"
The Western Digital MyBook 500 GB USB external drive in question has been used as a Time Machine backup for my iMac (2007, Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.3). at 1GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive.

Apple's Disk Utility goes not stop reporting instances of this error-- eventually it slows down the entire computer, until Disk Utility gives an "application not responding message".

When I tried running DIskWarrior to fix it via my 1GB iMac, I got an insufficient memory message. I'm willing to try via my 4GB MacBook Pro. Given this sudden issue, can the Time Machine backup on the MyBook drive be saved -- and is it still a reliable to use as the base for future backups on the Time Capsule?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: Bob Mayo

May 9, 2010 7:58 AM in response to Bob Mayo

Bob Mayo wrote:
. . .
Given this sudden issue, can the Time Machine backup on the MyBook drive be saved -- and is it still a reliable to use as the base for future backups on the Time Capsule?

I wouldn't waste any more time on it; I'd recommend putting it "on the shelf," in case you find you need something from it, and let Time Machine start fresh on the TC.

You can always access the old backups, via the +*Browse Other Time Machine Disks+* option, per #17 in the FAQ Tip.

By the way, I've been working on the copy procedure. Here's a draft of the new version of the part you'd use, if you decide to:
|
|

_*3. To copy LOCAL BACKUPS to be used on a NETWORK_*

*SNOW LEOPARD only; you cannot convert Local Backups to Network on Leopard.*
|
If you're copying to a Time Capsule, configure your Time Capsule for your network. (See the documentation that came with your Time Capsule for information about setting it up on your network.)

If you're copying to a USB drive to be connected to a Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, or other Mac, connect it directly to your Mac and format it with either the GUID or APM *Partition Map Scheme,* and either +Mac OS Extended (Journaled)+ or +Mac OS Extended Case-sensitive, journaled)+ Format. See item #5 in the Frequently Asked Questions *User Tip* if you need detailed instructions.

• a. Configure Time Machine to back up to the network location, and start a backup.
  • b. As soon as the +sparse bundle+ is created, cancel the backup (that may take a few moments).
  • c. If possible, connect the new drive directly to your Mac (or a Time Capsule via Ethernet).
  • d. Use the Finder to mount the new sparse bundle.
  • e. Double-click it to mount the +Time Machine Backups+ partition inside it.
  • f. Click the +Time Machine Backups+ partition to open it, and delete the Backups.backupdb folder inside it.
  • g. If the old backups are case-ignorant (per the yellow box above), you must change the new sparse bundle to be case-ignorant, too:
    |
    • 1. Select the +Time Machine Backups+ partition in Disk Utility's sidebar and click Erase.
    • 2. Select the +Mac OS Extended (Journaled)+ Format, and click the Erase button. That may take a few moments (to unmount, erase, and mount the partition again).
    • 3. Via the Finder, do a +Get Info+ on the +Time Machine Backups+ partition.
    • 4. Click the padlock at the lower right and enter your Admin password at the prompt.
    • 5. Remove the check from the +Ignore ownership on this volume+ box and close the window.

|
  • h. Via the Finder, drag the Backups.backupdb folder from the old volume to the new +Time Machine Backups+ partition. Enter your Admin password when prompted. After a few moments, you may also get a prompt saying that you'll need to enter it again later: click Continue.

May 9, 2010 11:14 AM in response to Pondini

Thanks, you've been very helpful. A couple of questions I wanted to run by you:

-Do you have any thoughts on why Apple chose to make the Time Machine images on network drives like Time Capsule "case sensitive" in its formatting? Is there any chance that changing it from case-sensitive could create any issues in future, if the Time Machine software is expecting to find that on a network drive?

-It seems that Disk Utility can be run on any disk image on a network, but that it doesn't verify or repair the Time Capsule drive, absent a disk image. Is there any utility that can check the integrity of the Time Capsule drive? Would using the Airport Utility to erase it do any repair or verification in the process?

Thanks again!

May 9, 2010 11:23 AM in response to Bob Mayo

Bob Mayo wrote:
Thanks, you've been very helpful. A couple of questions I wanted to run by you:

-Do you have any thoughts on why Apple chose to make the Time Machine images on network drives like Time Capsule "case sensitive" in its formatting?

That's also the default if you let it format an external drive for TM. Presumably, because you can back up either case-sensitive or case-ignorant that way, but not the other.

Is there any chance that changing it from case-sensitive could create any issues in future, if the Time Machine software is expecting to find that on a network drive?

No. It's all within the sparse bundle. The only problem would be, of course, if you connect a case-sensitive drive, TM couldn't back it up.

-It seems that Disk Utility can be run on any disk image on a network, but that it doesn't verify or repair the Time Capsule drive, absent a disk image. Is there any utility that can check the integrity of the Time Capsule drive?

Not that I know of. But for backups, that's not really a problem, since all the directories, etc., are inside the sparse bundle. It's kind of a separate volume within a volume.

Would using the Airport Utility to erase it do any repair or verification in the process?

I'd guess it re-creates an empty directory structure, similar to erasing a "normal" partition.

Can't copy TM usb backup to Time Capsule - "wrong case sensitivity"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.