Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBooks Vs. Kindle Reader?

I know it's a matter of personal preference..but just out of curiosity which book reader do you prefer?? I have downloaded both apps but haven't used them yet. I am finding that some books are cheaper on Amazon and there is much more of a bigger selection for the Kindle then for iBooks! What are your thoughts?

iPhone 3GS, iPad 64gb -3G, HP Pavilion Dv6338se, HP Desktop, Windows Vista

Posted on May 1, 2010 8:38 PM

5 replies

May 2, 2010 11:07 PM in response to TiffanyNicole

The ipad Kindle app looks really good but it's not as flashy as the iBook app. But the text looks just as good. It even does a thing or two (like background color setting) that iBook doesn't. You can get free stuff for both just to check them out and see how they look. iBook let's you download free previews of most books (about a chapter long) which you can also use to check it out. The iBook has the double page view in landscape mode (though I prefer the large single page view of portrait mode), fancier graphics (it looks like a book and the pages can turn like a book, although I never use that because it requires a sweep and who can be bothered when you can just tap) and can handle illustrations (make sure you download the free Winnie the Pooh book that Apple offers as an excellent example of what iBook can do) which I'm not sure the Kindle app can.

So if it's cheaper on one rather than the other or available on one rather than the other, then have no fear of using whichever. The text, as I said, looks identical in both and other than some razzmatazz graphics in iBook, they pretty much work the same.

May 3, 2010 5:09 PM in response to TiffanyNicole

I am completely indifferent. I find them to be pretty much the same, especially once you start reading. On the plus side for the kindle app is its better home screen ( the whole bookshelf thing in iBooks is just a lame gimmick - and a waste of screen real-estate). On the plus side for iBook, you don't have to leave the app to buy books ( a feature kindle could easily add and most likely will soon ).

Note : I'm comparing the apps on the iPad. As a book reader, the kindle is much better. It's lighter weight, easier on the eyes, and has much better battery life. And for those who say 10 hours of iPad battery life is enough, your missing one key point. What happens when you pick up up your iPad to start reading and discover the battery is at 2%? That just seems to never happen to me on my kindle.

iBooks Vs. Kindle Reader?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.