Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cables Not!

Well after much deliberation off to the local next byte store for and apple TV. Discussion in store showed me the demo set up I had some concerns that the hdmi slot on tv media centre was being used no big deal grab a HDMI switch box.
Well no where on the box, no mention in store during discussion, does it say "No Cables Include" other than power cable. Oh and instructions read that all TV cables to be connected before unit switched on.
So its sunday night no stores open and nothing other than a power cable, cant disconnect and use any of the others as the run in wall cavity. Guys get a sticker on the outside of the box in fluro, its not the cost its the frustration that no in store mention after some 10mins of discussion or markings on the box, that other than the remote and power cable nothing included! Hope this is a heads up for others before they get home and the stores close You need to buy cables!!!!! Totally PO

MacBook Pros & Mac Pros, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 2, 2010 3:28 AM

10 replies

May 2, 2010 3:41 AM in response to nagol009

you'll find that most devices don't come with cables these days.
should apple have supplied both HDMI and component cables as it supports both. should it also have supplied an optical cable?

printers don't even come with USB cables, so i think you are in denial of the fact that devices simply don't come with cables.

also, it clearly states what is in the box on the appletv section of the apple website.
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

May 2, 2010 3:42 AM in response to nagol009

nagol009 wrote:
Guys get a sticker on the outside of the box in fluro, its not the cost its the frustration that no in store mention after some 10mins of discussion or markings on the box, that other than the remote and power cable nothing included!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

As Chenks said most such devices don't come with all available connectors these days.

Frankly I'm amazed the store didn't try to flog you some expensive gold plated heavily insulated/screened cable costing more than the AppleTV itself...

May 2, 2010 5:31 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:
however I do believe the OP is correct that it should be stated on the box.

to be fair it doesn't say on the box that the cables are included though.
i see it from the side that it is wrong to assume something is included if it isn't specifically mentioned.

for example if i buy a second hand car, should i assume that it comes with a full tank of petrol just because it doesn't say that it doesn't come with it in the ad ?

May 2, 2010 8:26 AM in response to Chenks

Chenks wrote:
Winston Churchill wrote:
however I do believe the OP is correct that it should be stated on the box.

to be fair it doesn't say on the box that the cables are included though.
i see it from the side that it is wrong to assume something is included if it isn't specifically mentioned.

for example if i buy a second hand car, should i assume that it comes with a full tank of petrol just because it doesn't say that it doesn't come with it in the ad ?

Except that you don't need a full tank of fuel to use the car, however I do see your point.

This isn't the first poster that has made this comment, regardless of whether the consumer should know better or not I really think someone should have had the foresight to put something along the lines of "HDMI and component leads sold separately" on the outside of the box..

May 2, 2010 8:44 AM in response to capaho

capaho wrote:
I don't think it's realistic to expect HDMI cables to be included. It's a significant increase in cost that would have to be made up for in the product price. Few companies are willing to do that these days.

I'd agree, it is unrealistic but  could avoid disappointing unrealistic customers by simply making some sort of statement on the box.

May 2, 2010 8:59 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:
capaho wrote:
I don't think it's realistic to expect HDMI cables to be included. It's a significant increase in cost that would have to be made up for in the product price. Few companies are willing to do that these days.

I'd agree, it is unrealistic but  could avoid disappointing unrealistic customers by simply making some sort of statement on the box.

again though, the fact that on the box it doesn't say that one IS included should be enough for the buyer to at least query it at the point of purchase.

afterall it does say that a remote is included.

May 2, 2010 9:29 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:
... I don't think that the OP was complaining that there were no cables included, but that he wasn't told on the box.

As well as the fact that the store didn't tell him.

It may be a little annoying not to be able to use the device for a day or so - we all know the excitement of getting a new purchase home - but this is not exactly a unique omission of information from Apple - most peripheral vendors fail to specify that USB cables etc are not included.

Indeed I feel that cables shouldn't be included, however I do believe the OP is correct that it should be stated on the box.

Yes, it would be nice, it would be great for Apple to take the lead in such transparency which is why I added the feedback link.

"iPhone - dock no longer included and btw we'll redesign the next phone's shape so the one you buy for this will be incompatible, and don't expect that old FW based charger you bought to work either we have a living to make ya know!...ka'ching, ka'ching, ka'ching..." That might be too honest though 😉

Cables Not!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.