10 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2010 9:29 AM by Alley_Cat
nagol009 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Well after much deliberation off to the local next byte store for and apple TV. Discussion in store showed me the demo set up I had some concerns that the hdmi slot on tv media centre was being used no big deal grab a HDMI switch box.
Well no where on the box, no mention in store during discussion, does it say "No Cables Include" other than power cable. Oh and instructions read that all TV cables to be connected before unit switched on.
So its sunday night no stores open and nothing other than a power cable, cant disconnect and use any of the others as the run in wall cavity. Guys get a sticker on the outside of the box in fluro, its not the cost its the frustration that no in store mention after some 10mins of discussion or markings on the box, that other than the remote and power cable nothing included! Hope this is a heads up for others before they get home and the stores close You need to buy cables!!!!! Totally PO

MacBook Pros & Mac Pros, Mac OS X (10.6.3)
  • Chenks Level 5 Level 5 (7,420 points)
    you'll find that most devices don't come with cables these days.
    should apple have supplied both HDMI and component cables as it supports both. should it also have supplied an optical cable?

    printers don't even come with USB cables, so i think you are in denial of the fact that devices simply don't come with cables.

    also, it clearly states what is in the box on the appletv section of the apple website.
    http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
  • Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,385 points)
    nagol009 wrote:
    Guys get a sticker on the outside of the box in fluro, its not the cost its the frustration that no in store mention after some 10mins of discussion or markings on the box, that other than the remote and power cable nothing included!


    http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

    As Chenks said most such devices don't come with all available connectors these days.

    Frankly I'm amazed the store didn't try to flog you some expensive gold plated heavily insulated/screened cable costing more than the AppleTV itself...
  • Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (85,550 points)
    To many it may seem fairly obvious that there wouldn't be cables included , however I don't think that the OP was complaining that there were no cables included, but that he wasn't told on the box.

    Indeed I feel that cables shouldn't be included, however I do believe the OP is correct that it should be stated on the box.
  • Chenks Level 5 Level 5 (7,420 points)
    Winston Churchill wrote:
    however I do believe the OP is correct that it should be stated on the box.


    to be fair it doesn't say on the box that the cables are included though.
    i see it from the side that it is wrong to assume something is included if it isn't specifically mentioned.

    for example if i buy a second hand car, should i assume that it comes with a full tank of petrol just because it doesn't say that it doesn't come with it in the ad ?
  • capaho Level 4 Level 4 (3,650 points)
    I was disappointed that my ATV didn't include a TV. I guess the size of the box should have tipped me off.
  • Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (85,550 points)
    Chenks wrote:
    Winston Churchill wrote:
    however I do believe the OP is correct that it should be stated on the box.


    to be fair it doesn't say on the box that the cables are included though.
    i see it from the side that it is wrong to assume something is included if it isn't specifically mentioned.

    for example if i buy a second hand car, should i assume that it comes with a full tank of petrol just because it doesn't say that it doesn't come with it in the ad ?


    Except that you don't need a full tank of fuel to use the car, however I do see your point.

    This isn't the first poster that has made this comment, regardless of whether the consumer should know better or not I really think someone should have had the foresight to put something along the lines of "HDMI and component leads sold separately" on the outside of the box..
  • capaho Level 4 Level 4 (3,650 points)
    to be fair it doesn't say on the box that the cables are included though.


    I don't think it's realistic to expect HDMI cables to be included. It's a significant increase in cost that would have to be made up for in the product price. Few companies are willing to do that these days.
  • Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (85,550 points)
    capaho wrote:
    I don't think it's realistic to expect HDMI cables to be included. It's a significant increase in cost that would have to be made up for in the product price. Few companies are willing to do that these days.


    I'd agree, it is unrealistic but  could avoid disappointing unrealistic customers by simply making some sort of statement on the box.
  • Chenks Level 5 Level 5 (7,420 points)
    Winston Churchill wrote:
    capaho wrote:
    I don't think it's realistic to expect HDMI cables to be included. It's a significant increase in cost that would have to be made up for in the product price. Few companies are willing to do that these days.


    I'd agree, it is unrealistic but  could avoid disappointing unrealistic customers by simply making some sort of statement on the box.


    again though, the fact that on the box it doesn't say that one IS included should be enough for the buyer to at least query it at the point of purchase.

    afterall it does say that a remote is included.
  • Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (18,385 points)
    Winston Churchill wrote:
    ... I don't think that the OP was complaining that there were no cables included, but that he wasn't told on the box.


    As well as the fact that the store didn't tell him.

    It may be a little annoying not to be able to use the device for a day or so - we all know the excitement of getting a new purchase home - but this is not exactly a unique omission of information from Apple - most peripheral vendors fail to specify that USB cables etc are not included.

    Indeed I feel that cables shouldn't be included, however I do believe the OP is correct that it should be stated on the box.


    Yes, it would be nice, it would be great for Apple to take the lead in such transparency which is why I added the feedback link.

    "iPhone - dock no longer included and btw we'll redesign the next phone's shape so the one you buy for this will be incompatible, and don't expect that old FW based charger you bought to work either we have a living to make ya know!...ka'ching, ka'ching, ka'ching..." That might be too honest though