Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SECURITY HOLE - SMB Shares to XP - Total Access to Home Directory??

Hi Everyone - new OSX user here, so pardon my ignorance.

I want to setup a public share to my public folder to window's xp users. When I do this, it seems to share the public folder AND the entire home directory for read/write. It doesn't seem to matter that I haven't shared that folder. This seems like a HUGE security hole to me. What am I doing wrong?

ALSO - I found the Samba command and this is what is outputted after turning on Sharing and ONLY sharing my public folder:

my-mbp:tmp jdoe$ smbclient -L \\127.0.0.1
Password:
Domain=[MY-MBP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a-apple]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (MY-MBP)
John Doe's Public Folder Disk John Doe's Public Folder
jdoe Disk User Home Directories
Domain=[MY-MBP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.28a-apple]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
WORKGROUP

2010 MBP 15" / 2.53 ghz /4GB RAM / HR Glossy, Mac OS X (10.6.3), iPhone 3G 16 GB

Posted on May 3, 2010 7:04 AM

3 replies

May 3, 2010 11:41 AM in response to abnospam

In System Preferences Sharing, before you click on Options to enable SMB, how are the read/write privileges set up for each of your shared folders in the list?

I'm not very skilled with Windows, but when I enabled smb on my work Mac, then went to a Windows machine (where I do not have a local account with the same login name as on my Mac) and accessed my drive through the Windows "Finder", all I had access to was public folders. But those that were configured on the Mac as read/write acted just like that, and those that were configured as "read only" were just that (I didn't check my drop box for write only fro the Windows box).

So I'm thinking that if you access your Mac from a Windows box while logged in on the Windows machine with the same user name as on your Mac, that that is how you are getting escalated privileges to read/write the entire home directory. But if someone else tries from a different account with different user name, then they will have more restricted access, corresponding to the "Everyone" privileges set up on the Mac's System Preferences' Sharing panel. So make sure that for your home directory, that "Everyone" is set to "No Access"

For example, my Sharing panel had read/write for everyone on one particular folder, and my home folder is read/write for me and "No Access" for everyone else. Those privileges seemed to propagate along to SMB when I turned it on.

May 3, 2010 8:21 PM in response to abnospam

That's a lengthy thread. After I finished reading it, I think its bottom line is what I just said, right? Same username on the two machines, you get access to the home folder upon successful authentication. Different user names on the two machines, and all you get is the public (or other specifically shared) folders. Right? Or are you getting a different interpretation?

SECURITY HOLE - SMB Shares to XP - Total Access to Home Directory??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.