Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy work versions into temporary project?

Hi.
I'm asking for tips on the best way to do the following.
I want to create a temporary project containing copies of various work versions spreaded throughout various projects.
I've tried duplicating the work version and dragging it into the temporary project, but the "main" work version follows its copy, even though they are not tied inside a pile. I want to save the trouble from having to deal with two copies of each file inside the temporary project, and dragging back the "main" copies back into their respective original projects before deleting the temporary project.
Should I consider creating a Smart Project based on some tagging criteria designed for that purpose?

Many thanks,

iMac 24" 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 4 Gig RAM

Posted on May 4, 2010 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2010 7:32 AM

Hmmm. You may be making this too hard.

-- Create a new Album and name it something like "Work in Progress."

-- Select an image.

-- Create new "Version."

-- Drag to "Work" Album.

-- Adjust as desired.

-- Repeat as required.

Remember, "Projects" are the only place that a real, physical file resides. A master image can only be in one Project at a time. You can scatter as many different versions as you like, wherever you like, even in the original project.

Hope this helps.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2010 7:32 AM in response to Christian Barrette1

-- Create a new Album and name it something like "Work in Progress."

-- Select an image.

-- Create new "Version."

-- Drag to "Work" Album.

-- Adjust as desired.

-- Repeat as required.

Remember, "Projects" are the only place that a real, physical file resides. A master image can only be in one Project at a time. You can scatter as many different versions as you like, wherever you like, even in the original project.

Hope this helps.

May 4, 2010 10:20 AM in response to DiploStrat

Hmm, hmm.
Key concept for me here is Album vs Project. Album contains references to real files located inside a project, right?
Your indications have helped me resolve my problem, and actually another one I had for a long time: a useless album inside a project that contains a portion of the project content. Until now, I was afraid if I'd delete the albums, I would loose the images they contain. My understanding is that deleting an album only erases the references to existing files that will not otherwise be affected.
Oh, well. Pretty basic in Aperture usage, isn't it? Nothing like problem-solving for learning.
Thanks,

May 4, 2010 10:56 AM in response to DiploStrat

DiploStrat wrote:

With one caveat: all versions of a Master can be in only one Project. One can't actually "scatter as many different Versions ... wherever ...". Any time a Version is moved to another Project, its Master and all that Master's Versions are moved to the newly assigned Project (without notice, btw).

The best way I know of to think of this is that each Master and all of that Master's Versions must be in only one Project. There are no limitation on placing Masters and Versions in Albums. (Another way to think of it is that a Master and all its Versions form an invisible Stack.)

This is true for my installation. I assume it is true for everyone.

How to copy work versions into temporary project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.