Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folder looks locked when connecting through SMB on SL server

Hi,

After finding a workaround to another issue I'm having with AFP, I've decided to connect my clients through SMB. Being the guinea pig, I'm testing this on my mac first which is running SL 10.6.3, the Server is running 10.6.2. When I connect through SMB, the Share points doesn't show as a remote server, but as a folder, is that normal? Second, it has a locked sign on it has well as on most of it's content, which I can browse, even it it says it's locked or rather that I don't have the permissions to access its content. So how do I fix this so that I can see a regular mounted sharepoint, and that see the correct folder icon, or how do I fix the permission in SMB? I'm using ACL with the workgroup default for my main group in SL serveur.

TIA
Jeff

iMac 24", core 2 duo, 2.8Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 4Gb RAM

Posted on May 4, 2010 8:22 AM

1 reply

May 4, 2010 11:50 AM in response to Jeff Lambert

Just an update on this, I just figured out that you had to change the POSIX permission, or at least I that was the problem since it fixed it. Now though, the folder permission gets a bit more tricky. I can create a folder from computer A, save a document to that folder from computer B, open, edit and save from computer A that same document. But If I create a document on computer A, in a folder created also on computer A, I can't drag and drop that document in the finder to a folder created by computer B. Weird huh?
Any help would be great on this!
TIA
Jeff

Folder looks locked when connecting through SMB on SL server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.