Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

start up disc is almost full.

I keep receiving this message after putting lots of songs from my ipod onto my mac.

However, up until this i had around 14000 songs on my mac, deleted them all in order to start putting the songs from my ipod onto it again and now even though i only have around 6000 songs, it tells me it is full.

How can it say it is full now with only 6000 when it held 14000 before? im so confused, i don't know what needs to be deleted or how to make more room 😟

Hannah

Posted on May 5, 2010 3:41 AM

11 replies

May 7, 2010 1:30 AM in response to hannah1991

How did you delete the original songs, hannah? is it possible that you simply deleted them from the iTunes library, but not from the computer itself?

Further, when you brought the 6000 songs back what format did you import them in? You can check this by opening up iTunes, making sure that "Kind" is selected in the View > View Options menu and looking in the relevant column. Different encoding formats take up very different amounts of room. If you have imported them as AIFF files, for example, then they will take up a LOT of space.

You might also want to make sure that you don't have multiple copies of the songs installed on the computer. Enter the name of one of the songs in Spotlight and see if multiple copies are present.

You might also want to check that it is the Music which is actually taking up the space. Head to your music folder, and use "Get Info" from the Finder > File menu, to check whether its contents are large enough to explain the full drive..

There are other things that can lead to the loss of HD space that don't relate directly to iTunes, so if the above approaches don't reveal an answer, post back.

Cheers

Rod

May 25, 2010 11:58 PM in response to Rod Hagen

Okay, so i searched some of the songs in finder and it it came up with as many as 4 or 5 copies of each song. I assume that i've added these at different points and wondered if there is any way of accessing them all together to delete them at once (with still leaving one copy of each) otherwise i'll have to go through the entire library typing in the artist name and deleting them one by one, could be a pain!

Thank you so much for helping, it's a good job people like you are around and are so willing to help!

Hannah.

May 27, 2010 2:07 AM in response to eww

Sorry to keep complicating things,

My problem is is that it says that they won't ll fit in itunes, it keeps saying that the start up disc is almost full. So i have lots of copies of songs elsewhere that i don't know how to group together to delete, am i best just searcing each artist individually and then deleting them one by one?

Thanks

start up disc is almost full.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.