7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2005 2:08 PM by Mick Burrell
Lizz Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Is there any way to have a copy of a new email that I create sent to a particular folder in my email list. Please do not suggest SmartMailboxes. I've tried this.
On the toolbar under message, there is a drop down that indicates I can select "Copy To." Folders are listed but the menu is grayed out.

Is there a place to indicate whether I want emails that I create copied or NOT?

I am struggling to get the program to save ONLY the emails that I want to save--not the whole kit and caboodle.

Please help me.

iBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.3)
  • Sijmons Level 4 Level 4 (2,090 points)
    Lizz, your email boxes should not be gray when you select the Copy to... feature. You must select the mail message first, just highlight it when you click on the message, no need to open it all the way.

For frequent mails you can set up rules that put messages in any mailbox you have created. This does not work directly for mail going OUT (no clue why) but works well for mails coming IN.
    For out going mails, I just open the SENT mailbox every now&then, select all and apply the rules by pressing alt-apple-L
  • Mick Burrell Level 3 Level 3 (925 points)
    For out going mails, I just open the SENT mailbox
    every now&then, select all and apply the rules by
    pressing alt-apple-L

Or use the Filter Sent mail script from here :
    http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Mail_Scripts.html
  • Lizz Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Thank you. It's a conundrum--why the boxes are gray.
    I am a bit disappointed in Mail and think that Apple could do more.
    I love the clean interface, but it lacks some features that I find very helpful.
    If I didn't have so many mailboxes, I would go to Entourage, but when I imported from Mail, it was a big mess.
    I'm stuck.
    Thank you. I'm not very familiar with scripts and it reads as if there might be problems with Tiger. Nothing is perfect, but Apple comes darned close. I'll either have to learn to live with this or bolt to another mail program.
    It pains me to use Word; I just want AWAY from Microsoft.
    That script worked well on Panther and is still working well on three machines running 10.4.2 - you only have to load it, not undestand it - or I'd be stuck
    Thank you; I may brave it.
    I'm sure you won't be sorry. It does say in the instructions that it must be the first rule in your list - and it must! But that's as tricky as it gets. Good luck.