Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoshop not seeing lens model in exif data from A3 export

Hi, I am trying to use the lens correction features in CS5 but the lens type can't be read in the exif data of an image I've exported from A3. It sees the focal length and body type. The lens type is listed in the Metadata Inspector in A3. I took the image into iPhoto and checked "extended photo info" and the lens type isn't there either. This happens with at least 2 lenses. One prime and one zoom. Any ideas?

2008 Mac Pro 8 core 2.8Ghz, 6G RAM, Late 2008 MacBook, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 5, 2010 6:39 PM

25 replies

May 6, 2010 6:41 AM in response to Magicpony

Hi again

Having played with metadata a bit more, it is possible to include EXIF data for the lens size etc.. eg...EF300mm f2.8L IS USM But it doesn't append the manufacturer's name, eg I use Canon, yet 'Canon' is not appended to the Lens data like it is to the camera name..

In the library Inspector click > Metadata > where it says 'General' click the down arrow, then click > Edit > from the window that appears click > EXIF > from the drop down list click > Lens (scroll down a bit)

The lens you used will now be appended to your data.

I have not tried exporting this to Photoshop so maybe you could post back if its possible to export this data to PS or not.

Maybe someone has information on this and can chip in here with advice....

Hope this is helpful....... Gerry....

PS to all reading this, I also noticed while playing around with this ( I have not delved into metadata too much since Ap2) that all my personal details like mobile number, address, email etc are all appended by default, I imagine my address book info has been used here.

A useful feature indeed while selling photo's, or if you intend it to be there..... but not so good if you are not aware it's there in the first place.....!

Just a shared thought to whom it may concern....... Gerry.

Message was edited by: windhoveruk

May 6, 2010 6:45 AM in response to windhoveruk

I double checked what you suggested but "Lens" was already ticked. I can see the lens type in the Exif data in A3 just not when it's exported. Of course it might not be Aperture that's to blame. Maybe iPhoto doesn't show the lens type as part of the "extended information" and maybe CS5 is not reading it. Is there any other way to read the Exif data of a photo so I can check if the lens type has been exported from Aperture?

May 6, 2010 7:16 AM in response to Magicpony

i should have said the entire lens info, except, the manufacturers name, was visible in the metadata inspector in the library..after checking 'Lens'...which was unchecked for me by default.

I exported the metadata only to the desktop Export > Metadata

No lens info was there...... Feedback... or I will look more deeply at the Manual when I get in tonight 🙂

Gerry..........

May 6, 2010 7:27 AM in response to windhoveruk

Are you seeing other values in the exported metadata? I'm only getting this......

Version Name Title Urgency Categories Suppl. Categories Keywords Instructions Date Created Contact Creator Contact Job Title City State/Province Country Job Identifier Headline Provider Source Copyright Notice Caption Caption Writer Rating IPTC Subject Code Usage Terms Intellectual Genre IPTC Scene Location ISO Country Code Contact Address Contact City Contact State/Providence Contact Postal Code Contact Country Contact Phone Contact Email Contact Website Label Latitude Longitude Altitude AltitudeRef
IMG_6084

May 6, 2010 7:58 AM in response to windhoveruk

If you Export the Master, all that information is present, and can be read, at least, with Graphic Converter. It seems, but I have not confirmed, that exporting a Version may involve conversions and loss of the manufacturer's name of the lens, etc, but not the settings, such as aperture, shutter, etc.

Do some testing with an exported master. I will need to test a direct capture from memory card to see what Photoshop CS4 can see, versus what is exported from Aperture. However, I can report that even an exported version when opened in Photoshop will display and report the shutter speed, aperture settings, ISO, focal length, flash info, etc, as well as the model and manufacturer of the camera.

Ernie

May 6, 2010 8:32 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

I exported a master from A3 (.CR2) and opened it in CS5 raw converter. Once it was converted and open in photoshop the lens model was there and it automatically detected the lens and applied the relevant profile in the lens correction filter. So it seems A3 isn't exporting the lens type in the exif. Do you have any suggestions to get it to?

May 6, 2010 8:49 AM in response to Magicpony

I haven't used Lens Correction in CS4, and do not yet have CS5 -- is there a difference in functionality? In CS4 it is available in the first RAW window.

You say conversion, but don't you only mean the raw interpretation -- the file is still in raw format until you do a Save -- correct?

I will have to think about this more, but it would seem to me that any lens correction would best be applied before any conversion to Export in Aperture or Save in PS? Since Aperture passes either a Tiff or PSD to Photoshop, if this info is lost in conversion for Export, there may be no way to use in the Edit in PS path -- but I can't answer this from experience.

Ernie

May 6, 2010 9:14 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Yes there is a difference in lens correction in CS5. There is now automatic lens distortion and chromatic aberration correction. It's under Filters. It needs lens info to apply the correct camera/lens profile.
I never use the raw converter in photoshop and when I first tested this I only clicked "Open" in the raw window. I did it again and did a save as a jpeg and all the info is there.
Looks like I won't be able to use the auto lens correction on my A3 exported files. Bummer.
Isn't this something Apple should fix or is it common for not all the info to be exported?

May 6, 2010 9:31 AM in response to Magicpony

I too have never used Lens Correction in CS4 (which I have) never felt the need actually. But it sure seems like you found a good one here......

I would have thought that the Aperture developers would have seen that one coming wouldn't you ?

Especially with the release of CS5 and the number of Aperture users who use PS as an external editor.(myself included)

Like I said earlier... maybe feedback as clearly the ability for CS4/5 to read this info for some is important.

Regards..... Gerry..

May 6, 2010 10:16 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

I exported an image to CS4 from within Aperture then in CS4 I clicked File > File Info.... and under the RAW data Tab the Focal length is there (300mm) but no Manufacturers info. So the focal length is exported and visible in the RAW Data Tab....as well as the file info..

In CS4 I then did Filter > Distort > Lens Correction After the image opened in Lens Correction, 'Custom' is selected by default.

Above the image I exported to CS4 (Top Left) where It says 'Place Mouse over control for help' When I hover over 'Custom' Top Left of my image It reads "Use settings based on the Lens, Saved settings or Conversion" Yet when I click the drop down arrow, where it says 'Custom'....... "Lens Default" is greyed out for me. So it looks as if I can only do ad hoc adjustments at will....

So I cant use the Lens settings info (300) as I have no option. As I have not used this feature before, I may have missed something...??

Gerry....

Message was edited by: windhoveruk

Photoshop not seeing lens model in exif data from A3 export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.