Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

17 inch imac blue screen

this morning I went to use my imac when I noticed a beach ball and I couldn't do anything.
I had to hard reboot by holding down the power button.
when rebooting it stayed at the blue screen for long time. rebooted again with no luck.
tried to reset the pram, boot from a disc, do target disc mode..all with no success.

finally with a snow leopard disc inside the mac I unplugged everything let it sit for 10 minutes then rebooted and it finally went to my desktop. at this point i tried to run carbon copy cloner to back up and I didn't get very far at all.
every time I tried to click anywhere i would get the beach ball again.

I dont think it is the harddrive because i replaced it about 1 year ago.

I also added an additional stick of ram last year, i suspect this could be the problem.

any ideas?

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 7, 2010 3:02 PM

4 replies

May 7, 2010 7:40 PM in response to jlakser49

if u suspect it's the ram stick then pull it out & see what happens.

Before I put together a custom PC I built for my parents back in 2006, they were using a Cr@ppy Compaq presario 5000 series which was only capable of running 256MB SDRAM. When ever I tried to upgrade by adding more, I couldn't get through a boot-up and when it did, it could go no longer than 10 minutes without freezing. When I pulled out the Ram t would start working again.

Honestly, it seems you may have either a HD or Ram problem. Just for curiosity, have you monitored your fans speeds and HD temp in the past??? Did you properly glue back the thermal sensor to the HD??? I used Elmer's Rubber cement on mine which similar to what Apple used. It could be that excessive heat may have slowly toasted u're drive over time.

Maybe there was static contact when you opened your imac or maybe that black protective foil is making contact onto the logic board. Just throwing all the possibilities as I've done a HD replacement myself on my 17" Late 2006 iMac & I know their messy inside.

17 inch imac blue screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.