Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading large files and defragmenting

Hi,
I am new to mac and would like to know how downloading larges files affect my macbook pro performance. I understand that files of about 20mb are automatically optimized by the OS. How about downloading a single file of about 1gb? Should I defragment after downloading such files? If so how may I do so. Please advise! I am soo used to defragment on my windows 7 haha

cheers

Macbook pro 13" 2.4ghz, April 13 2010, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 7, 2010 3:15 PM

5 replies

May 7, 2010 3:35 PM in response to avi39b

In a word, no. Do note that if you use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup of your boot volume to a bootable, external HD (preferably FireWire) and check it to ensure that it's viable, you can erase the original, reverse the process, and defrag in one operation.

Since you're a newcomer to the Mac, see these:

Switching from Windows to Mac OS X,
Basic Tutorials on using a Mac,
Mac 101: Mac Essentials,
Anatomy of a Mac,
MacTips, and
Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Snow Leopard Edition.

Additionally, *Texas Mac Man* recommends:

Quick Assist.
Welcome to the Switch To A Mac Guides,
Take Control E-books, and
A guide for switching to a Mac.

May 7, 2010 3:57 PM in response to avi39b

As long as your internal disk isn't near full, fragmentation of big files shouldn't be a problem.

If you have at least 15% free at all times, OSX won't have to scatter the parts of a big file much.

But if the drive has been consistently below, say, 10% free, and you've downloaded or copied several big files, Baltwo's suggestion of cloning to an external HD and back should help.

Also note that when the drive gets near full, things will slow down noticeably, and if it continues to fill, files may get corrupted, apps may crash, and eventually your Mac may crash and not restart.

So the main thing is to always give OSX some "breathing room." 🙂

Downloading large files and defragmenting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.