Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Referenced files swapping switching around

Today, aperture went crazy.

Many of my referenced files in a particular project started switching around. The image and/or the names were swapping around randomly to the incorrect pictures. I don't know how to describe this very well, but at first I thought it was a thumbnail issue. Basically what was happening is I saw the images changing before my very eyes. The names stayed the same, but the images were the incorrect images, although they were images found within the project. It was as if images were swapping places and trading names.

I tried refreshing the thumbnail and locating the master file in the finder by right clicking. The thumbnail did not reload properly. When I located in the finder, I was taken to the image I saw on the thumbnail, rather than the image which corresponded to the name.

Normally for me, the master file name matches the version name in aperture. So, for some reason, it appears that aperture is reassigning an incorrect master image to my images within aperture.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, and I was unable to find anything in the forums that seemed similar. Any ideas?

iMac intel, Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 7, 2010 5:30 PM

4 replies

May 7, 2010 10:55 PM in response to Abbstrack

JPEG and RAW.

The interesting thing is that it appears to be happening between two different specific days of shooting. One day I shot everything in JPEG, the other in RAW. They were months apart.

There doesn't appear to be any pattern either. For example, I had one set of versions in a stack, and only one of those versions was replaced with an image from the other day.

Luckily I have all the Master files on an external drive, so I can reimport them into aperture, only I will lose all my adjustments I believe. This is very strange, it is as if there are little demons within my computer going nuts.

May 8, 2010 8:05 AM in response to Daniel Peck

very weird. again, my problem was with tiff files, polaroids actually that were scanned as Tiffs then imported into aperture. Apparently Aperture 3 did not approve of the color profile my old Lexmark scanner used (despite Aperture 2 having no problems with them).

I had to open each of the masters individually in photoshop and save them under a different profile, which solved the problem (i did not have to reimport, i simply had to resave the master then go back into aperture and regenerate thumbnails).

Since your problem is with RAW & JPEGs that presents a different issue, as seemingly there is no 3rd party device causing this issue..

i would still suggest looking closely at individual files and comparing info side by side for files you have that do work, and those that don't. that's the only way I was able to determine it was the color profile used by the scanner in my situation.

Message was edited by: Abbstrack

Referenced files swapping switching around

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.