Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook issue with Titanium Powerbook

Hi, I bought a Titanium model powerbook as a spare and it works fine apart from when I use facebook the display seems all the way to the left ( all the pics and writing are on the left of the page with the other two thirds plain )

All other websites seem to work fine just facebook being a problem

When I check it the software appears to be up to date ( OS X 10.3.9 ) is this Panther ?

Any thoughts ??

Powerbook 1.5GHz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM

Posted on May 8, 2010 1:14 AM

2 replies

May 8, 2010 10:34 AM in response to tonybassplayer

Hi,

Yes. v10.3.9 is Panther.

I believe the issue when you visit Facebook is probably the Flash plugin and/or Java.

The system requirements for Flash are 10.4. or later, see here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/systemreqs/

You would need to upgrade to Tiger v 10.4.11 to meet the minimum requirements.

Try this... from the Apple Menu (top left in the PBook screen) click Software Updates. You won't be able to view Flash content on YouTube or sites that require that plugin but the Java update may help for Facebook.

If you update any system software, make sure and repair disk permissions.

Quit any open applications/programs. Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

Carolyn 🙂

Jun 26, 2010 6:51 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

thanks Carolyn; I have the same problem with my old G4/400 that runs OSX 1.3.9 with Safari version 1.3.2. Just wanted the original poster to know that he's not the only one with the issue. I guess it's time we upgraded these older Macs to a newer OS.

I looked at Safari Help\Installed Plug-Ins and found a couple of items listed twice. I looked in the Internet Plug-ins folder in the Library Folder (not the user library, the one above it) where all the plug-ins reside, and there were a lot of plug-in files and plug-in folders in there. It wasn't clear for example why the quicktime plugin details were listed twice (with two different quicktime plugin items in the Plug-ins Folder) and also why there is a Java Applet Plugin as well as a JavaPluginCocoa.bundle. We users havent' a clue whether we've somehow got duplicated items in there, that might be interacting adversely. I guess for most of us the sad answer is to do a brute force upgrade to a new OS and hope everything works after many hours of upgrading ****, resolving program incompatibilities and upgrades, etc.

I'll submit a bug report to Facebook but not sure it will do much good. However, one has to wonder why facebook seems to be the 'only' web page showing this glitch since their site is so dependent on networking and getting as many people as possible using facebook. Theirs is the last kind of web site that should be using non-backward-compatible software technologies. Their programmers may be kind of shooting themselves in the foot.

Facebook issue with Titanium Powerbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.