Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie will not let me import my 24p movies

In the Import From Camera area, my 24p movies are all unable to be selected and they each have a big red "no smoking" symbol over them. I'm certain iMovie supports 24 frames per second right?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 9, 2010 2:09 PM

7 replies

May 10, 2010 8:19 PM in response to sweetpollypurebred

sweetpollypurebred wrote:
You can quit iMovie and try this in terminal.

defaults write com.apple.iMovie8 videoFrameRate 23.976

Open a new iMovie project and see what happens.

If it doesn't work for you just go to preferences>Video Standard and select the two options from the list and restart iMovie.

Okay when I go to terminal, I first type the word "defaults", and then at the next prompt I type "com.apple.iMovie8 videoFrameRate 23.976" ? I tried that and nothing seems to happen.

I also tried switching to PAL 25 fps and then didn't work either.

May 11, 2010 12:07 AM in response to pianoorlando

You type the whole line after the prompt. *defaults write com.apple.iMovie8 videoFrameRate 23.976*

Terminal will give no indication that it worked. The way you would know that it worked is the drop down list where you choose between 30 and 25 would be blank. If you select either 25 or 30 you undo the terminal command. It really changes the settings for within iMovie and the export but is worth a try. Your issue is probably more with the type of camera and/or video files. You should post that information so others may be able to help you further. If you can get it in there iM will play, edit and export it at 24fps with this command. Use 24 instead of 23.976 though as iM apparently does the math for anything less than 30 and you will be close enough at 23.98.

May 11, 2010 5:02 AM in response to sweetpollypurebred

sweetpollypurebred wrote:
You type the whole line after the prompt. *defaults write com.apple.iMovie8 videoFrameRate 23.976*

Terminal will give no indication that it worked. The way you would know that it worked is the drop down list where you choose between 30 and 25 would be blank. If you select either 25 or 30 you undo the terminal command. It really changes the settings for within iMovie and the export but is worth a try. Your issue is probably more with the type of camera and/or video files. You should post that information so others may be able to help you further. If you can get it in there iM will play, edit and export it at 24fps with this command. Use 24 instead of 23.976 though as iM apparently does the math for anything less than 30 and you will be close enough at 23.98.

OK I tried that, and yes the dropdown list now is blank. I then closed out of iMovie, opened it back up, and my 24p movies still have the red circle/slash.

My camcorder is a Panasonic HDC-TM300. It's AVCHD.

May 12, 2010 9:21 AM in response to pianoorlando

Assuming you have successfully imported your other standard definition movies and still images erase them with the camera. Then plug the camera/card back in to the computer and try this:

Open disk utility>select the camera's disk from list on left (the partition) "NO NAME" (or whatever it is)>File>New>Disk Image from (the camera disk)>Save to the top level of your hard drive.

When complete disconnect the camera/SD(HC) card and open the disk image you created. In iMovie go to File>Import>Camera Archive and navigate to the open .dmg. If it is not recognized that way try the Import from Camera.

Note that if you alter(ed) the contents of the camera's disk via the computer it will not work properly and many indicate that the existence of SD videos along with the HD videos does not work either.

Here are some other links that may help.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2203784&tstart=150
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11213427&#11213427
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11147773&#11147773

iMovie will not let me import my 24p movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.