Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to share programs between users on same machine?

I'm sure there is an easy answer to this and as a proud five year Apple user, I'm kinda embarrassed to ask. But now that I am sharing a computer with new fiance, I need to know!

How can we share software between users on the same machine without downloading it under each user?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 9, 2010 7:00 PM

2 replies

May 10, 2010 8:53 AM in response to legallyspoiled

The difficult question isn't sharing programs (which almost always are shared by default) but how to share data. In particular, music in iTunes, photos in iPhoto, videos in iMovie, they all resist sharing because those apps were not designed for it. In general, to share data you can use the "Shared" folder. Go to your home folder, and go up a level to Users, then select Shared. You might want to drag it to the places list on the left in the finder so you can get to it easily. You can put your iTunes and iPhoto libraries in Shared. To select the shared versions, hold down the Option key while launching iTunes or iPhoto. Video files can also be stored in Shared, however iMovie seems to be hard connected to an individuals Movie folder.

How to share programs between users on same machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.