Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accented folder names make Finder "jumpy"

Hello,

We have a weird problem with our OS X Server. When we have accented letters in a folder name, like for instance "Référence", Finder sometimes becomes jumpy, jumping from the folder to the parent, making the content of the folder "blink". I'm not sure how exactly to describe it but it is really frustrating and makes work uneasy. For the moment, we changed every accented name to plain ASCII names, and the problem seems gone.

I am apparently not the only one having this problem, as described in this blog post: http://www.betalogue.com/2010/04/30/accented-chars/

I don't think there's much that can be done but Apple looking into it, but we never know?

Thanks,
Lionel

Mac Mini Server, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on May 10, 2010 1:07 AM

14 replies

May 20, 2010 1:55 AM in response to L. R.

Hi.

Having a similiar issue with 10.6.3 server and clients. Intermittent "jumpy" Finder on clients. Don´t think we have any accented letters. However we use swedish letters "ÅÄÖ".

Long-shot links:
http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2464
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/qa/qa2001/qa1235.html

If you find any solution, please post it here...

May 21, 2010 7:57 AM in response to L. R.

Hi L.R.

I've seen the problem on our server too. But it's not only on servers, it's on all AFP sharepoint. It even happened on my external HD connected to my Airport extreme. I connect to it via AFP and get the problem. Unlike the guy with accented characters though, I have folders that display the problem that don't have accented characters, although, we use them too because we are speaking french also, as the guy from the link. The "solution" is to use something other than AFP, so we choose SMB, which brings other kinds of problem because it doesn't deal with special characters like _ . , [ ]* which we use sometimes in files and folder names. I'm still searching for a good solution to this problem. I've been in contact with apple and all they can tell me is that they need more data to be able to help me, but since the problem doesn't append in the log, what can I send? I've even posted a movie on youtube that show the problem!
if you want to look at it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlbzQYWNxA8

Lets hope apple fixes this issue before we switch platform.
Jeff

Jun 15, 2010 4:38 AM in response to Johan Kjellman

I would like to also contribute to this thread. I have similar problem with two of my customers' environments.

However I think that problem is not the 10.6.x server. I think problem is 10.6.x client connecting to server.

At one of customers I upgraded client computer to 10.6.3 and it started to finder. Customer uses scandinavian letters in path names.

Sep 21, 2010 10:27 AM in response to mike.habermeier

Yep, same here! Really strange... The problem comes and goes for us on our AFP shares.

And we have an interesting twist; if I have a folder with a Swedish accented character e.g. "ä" as the second character in the name, the first letter of the folder name will sometimes flip between upper and lower case every 2-3 seconds. How's that for weird?

Other symptoms include being ejected to the top level of the folder hierarchy without reason and multiple visible "copies" of the top-level folder. Clicking the correct folder becomes a cat-and-mouse game as they flash around on the screen...

Anyway, it's driving us crazy so Apple needs to find a solution quickly. Until then I will skip non-english chars in folder names and see if we can get some relief.

Message was edited by: PeteTheViking

Accented folder names make Finder "jumpy"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.